Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

NEWP: 1890 Helgoland Medal

1890. Germany. Medal Commemorating the Acquisition of the Island of Helgoland. Silver, 38 mm. The medal features on the obverse the bust of Kaiser Wilhelm II. The reverse has a woman in the air with a cape made from a German Flag overlooking the island.

Comments

• IosephusIosephus Posts: 872 ✭✭✭
    Nice looking medal with an interesting design!
  • harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of course, you might want to think of a theme for starting a collection. Who is the artist?

Another possibility would be German colonials, I'm thinking.
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • jdmernjdmern Posts: 289 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful medal!

Justin Meunier

Boardwalk Numismatics

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For a little background, Helgoland was a British possession from 1807-1890, Germany really didn't care for having a foreign power control a small island off it's coast. In fact during the opening days of WWI and WWII there were naval clashes in the area involving the British and Germans.

Beautiful medal.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Medals are an insidious and addictive collectible. First it's just one or two, then whole themes emerge,and next thing you know there are dozens and hundreds all over the place. From a single beautiful medal you can end up with German leaders, Politics, Islands, flags, The Artist, sunrise/sunsets, Flying Women, or Dudes With Mustaches. That is a very nice one of course, with an interesting story to tell--and most medals have some kind of story.

• worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Stork - agree completely!

Dudes with mustaches would be an excellent registry set theme.

• worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Zohar already has the "dudes with wigs" category covered with his Hapsberg collection.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh-, my. That reverse is simply stunning, even if the lady thereon looks a little like she saw the sun, thought it was a small brush fire, and leapt in the air, waving a blanket with which to smother it.

Seriously, though, I love it.

PS- I totally agree with Stork about the insidiously slippery slope which medals present. I find them catching my eye ever more often these days. Never considered the "Dudes with Mustaches" theme, though. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Truly beautiful design. Congrat Zohar.

-Brandon
    -Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice, love the reverse.
  • theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Very nice Medal, They do grow on you don't they??