Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Miniature Darkside Gathering pending for Halloween night!

Gathering is to take place in the Swoveland Library, better known as Old Dead King Aethelred's Dungeon.

Asheville, North Carolina.

Attending will be:

Aethelred
    asheland
    lordmarcovan
    ladymarcovan (though probably not present for the numismatic festivities)
    savoyspecial

Stay tuned for photos. image

Update: photos posted below. Scroll down.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And, since it's Halloween night, when the spirits rise, you can expect Wayne Whatley (Newbiecollector) and Brad Swain (TBirde56) to show up as well, though their images might not come out in the photos except as spots of light.

imageimage

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Or, if you are in a Classical frame of mind the "LIBRVS SWOVELANDIVS."

If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    where is Asheville?

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    what is Asheville? sounds like something after my camp fire goes out

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    In Asheville they have a nice house. I did a car show in front of it when I was into MGs. One of the smaller places , Something like you see in the Hamptons.Nice back yard garden also.image
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    and do you know why it looks 'like something you see in the Hamptons?'

....it was built by New Yawk-as

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    I've been to Asheville, very nice area. wouldn't mind retiring there someday if we can ever retire

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    I can report that some coins have changed hands...
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    you bought candy from lord m?

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    He dipped his hand into my Box of 20 and the coin he pulled out seems to have stuck to his fingers.

Of course a few of his ended up replacing it, so as ever before, I think both parties ended up content, though who knows if any of our swaps would ever make any sense to an outside observer.

Just off the the road and back home. I'll post some pix when I get the chance.

It was a good, albeit brief, journey.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Aethelred
    I can report that some coins have changed hands...

And spoons! image
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Originally posted by: coinlieutenant
    Pics?

To follow soon...

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Aethelred
    Originally posted by: coinlieutenant
    Pics?

To follow soon...

How soon? image
  • Options
    probably waiting for the film to get developed

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Originally posted by: ajaan

imageimage
  • Options
    Ye Olde Dead King moves at his own pace. You must give him some leeway because he is over a thousand years old and mostly dust and bones by now, so he had some difficulty with the camera shutter.

I would've taken pictures myself, but the horse that pulls my portable darkroom wagon stepped on the plates and broke them, and also knocked over my bottle of silver nitrate.

(Not so far from the truth, actually. When I casually mentioned I have an iPhone 3 recently, one Litesider quipped, "Man, you really DO collect ancients, don't you?", in what had to be the zinger of the week.) image

• Options
    Originally posted by: ajaan

They are at the K-Mart Photo Lab, I was told I could pick them up next Tuesday.

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    Originally posted by: lordmarcovan
    Ye Olde Dead King moves at his own pace....

(Not so far from the truth, actually. When I casually mentioned I have an iPhone 3 recently, one Litesider quipped, "Man, you really DO collect ancients, don't you?", in what had to be the zinger of the week.) image

I do have a Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge, need to stay informed of the comings and goings of the Danes and Normans. I keep an eye on #invadingarmies

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    Well, now. Here we go. At long last, we have pictures!

Mrs. Aethelred and Ladymarcovan were downstairs, far, far away from the nerdly numismatic festivities, so we were left to our own devices for the photo op. Aethelred couldn't figure out the timer on his camera, so he and asheland had to take turns clicking the shutter.

First photo (L to R): Greg C. ("savoyspecial"), Terry G. ("asheland"), Rob S. ("lordmarcovan").

Note how much older and fatter I am now than in the 2004 avatar picture y'all are more accustomed to seeing.

But oh, well. Tempus fugit. At least I look jolly, right? image

Though the festivities took place a day early (on October 30th instead of Halloween), we were blessed with a spectral visit by Dearly Departed Darksiders Wayne W. ("Newbiecollector") and Brad S. ("tbirde56"), in avatar form. Since Terry was behind the camera this time, Michael ("Aethelred") finally made it into the photo, at right. It was his library/man cave we were meeting in. I am terribly jealous of his having so much personal space for an office.

Wayne's spirit voice telepathically asked us if we thought his ship avatar looked cool hovering in the air like that, looking like the Lost Dutchman. We all agreed that it did.

Brad, ever the Quick Draw Krause artiste, identified every unknown coin in the room (and there were several). It took him .00005 seconds (about half his usual living average time for a coin ID), so apparently he is no longer constrained by flipping paper pages and has special afterlife access to all of numismatic history.

A splendid time was had by all. Coins and camaraderie.

There was even some interesting noncoin stuff, too. You've no doubt already read Terry's thread about the silver spoon. Michael also had a tray of them, including one inscribed silver spoon from 1861 that had belonged to an ancestor of his (I think he said it was his paternal great-grandfather, who had emigrated from Russia in the very early 1900s?)

• Options
    very cool
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You guys come across as an enjoyable fun loving bunch. Cherish these relationships as this is what life is about. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Zohar
    You guys come across as an enjoyable fun loving bunch. Cherish these relationships as this is what life is about. Thanks for sharing.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love the special effects!
  • Options
    I picked this up during the visit:

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    Here is the Smeagle reshoot of that coin, Michael. He was kind enough to offer to reimage it for me when we had some other trade stuff moving back and forth.