Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

NEWP: Archduke Ferdinand II (1564-95) 2 Taler

These mid 16th century issues are quite neat in the sense that rather than being of larger flan, the weight is compensated by the coin's thickness. Massive coins, many were mounted into Jewelry or chased in the fields. Finding these in original, problem free condition is a challenge and to date, I have not seen them come in mint state. I recently picked up the first of the pair which was issued during the life of the Archduke. The second which I have owned for a while is scarcer, Ferdinand's bust facing left, issued posthumously. Note that on the Austrian double Talers you do not see the double headed eagle, but rather a single head.

ND. Archduke Ferdinand II (1564-95) 2 Talers. Hall Mint. DAV-8116. 57.66gr. Obv: Bare headed draped and mantled bust right, wearing Collar of the Order of the Golden Fleece. Rev: Crowned eagle facing head left, with coat-of-arms on breast. A distinctive life-like bust defines this issue, whose thick planchet gives the coin its pleasing heft. NGC AU-55.

ND. Archduke Ferdinand II (1564-95) 2 Talers. Hall Mint. DAV-8120. Moser Tursky-310/308. Posthumous issue, struck 1601/4. Draped and mantled bust left, wearing Collar of the Order of the Order of the Golden Fleece. Rev: Crowned eagle facing head left, with coat-of-arms on breast. Very rare issue. NGC AU-58. Image by brg5658.

Comments