Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Picked up this 1869 Brazil 20 Reis raw (from online dealer)

It wasn't very expensive, so I thought I'd gamble to see it in hand. It turns out that it's not half bad, not a perfect piece of copper/bronze (has some black spots, etc.), but has some remnant red hiding underneath the brown and has nice luster. I think the coin is UNC, I'd call it a 62. Or is it a problem coin that won't grade? What are your guys' thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    Looks UNC to me too.
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks original to me
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice looking coin

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have some doubts about an MS grade, judging from the end of his mustache where that meets his beard. That area appears to have a tiny bit of rub. Likewise some of the stars on the reverse and the beads/ornaments in the crown. But if there is in fact any contact or "cabinet friction" there, it is so slight that you may be correct- this could indeed come back MS. I guess we'll see. It's a nice enough looking coin, for sure.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would try to take care of some of the green stuff in the nooks and crannies before sending this one in.

Looks in the MS62/63 range to me based on those photos. The 4 bigger spots on the reverse are unfortunate, as the obverse has a really nice look.

Good luck!
    -Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-