Home Sports Talk
Options

So how will the Denver Broncos fair this season?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Kubi do.
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    Very happy for Peyton
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That was one heck of a beatdown!

Congratulations to Peyton, the Broncos, and the Denver fans!!!!! imageimage

Steve
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Denver D is relentless! What a dominant performance by Miller and Co. After these past two games vs NE and Car, Wade Phillips ought to be back on the head coaching radar.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have followed Peyton Manning since the day he was drafted by INDY.

What better way to end his career than this story book ending.

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by: grote15

Denver D is relentless! What a dominant performance by Miller and Co. After these past two games vs NE and Car, Wade Phillips ought to be back on the head coaching radar.

That's the thing; Wade Phillips has always been a great defensive coordinator. Once he becomes a head coach though, all the other stuff he has to run bogs him down.

It's the same (in reverse) as Norv Turner. Norv has always been a great offensive coordinator, but when he becomes a head coach, all the other stuff brings him down.

Both need to stay at the level they're at, and they'll be great. Neither has ever been, nor will they ever be, a successful head coach.

Steve
  • Options
    Originally posted by: SDSportsFan

Originally posted by: grote15

That's the thing; Wade Phillips has always been a great defensive coordinator. Once he becomes a head coach though, all the other stuff he has to run bogs him down.

It's the same (in reverse) as Norv Turner. Norv has always been a great offensive coordinator, but when he becomes a head coach, all the other stuff brings him down.

Both need to stay at the level they're at, and they'll be great. Neither has ever been, nor will they ever be, a successful head coach.

Steve

A lot of that success or lack thereof has to do with personnel and team makeup, etc.

Your observation may be accurate thus far, but most coordinators want to be a head coach at some point and if the offer is there and the situation is right, I wouldn't expect a good coordinator to turn it down because he feels he can't hack it as a head coach and should be content with remaining a coordinator. Regardless, Phillips' stock will rise after this postseason, and he may also be more suited now to take on a head coaching position. Belichick was a great coordinator and was pretty lousy in Cleveland before coming to NE.

Also both Phillips (82-64) and Turner (114-122, including 4-4 in postseason) have had pretty decent records as head coaches. I think Phillips can be successful in the future as a head coach with the right personnel and staff.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Today's Super Bowl win by Denver (with the #1 defense) against Carolina (with the #1 offense) is very much like the Superbowl of two years ago when Seattle (with the #1 defense) beat Denver (with the #1 offinse).

Eerily similar.

Interesting to see all of the predictions of a Carolina win by a large margin due to the high scoring offense of the Panthers be completely off base.

Denver's defense was fantastic. It dominated Carolina and refused to allow Carolina to obtain any traction or momentum.

Denver's offinse was good enough to score 3 field golas and its defense scored a touchdown on a fumble, plus set up Denver's second TD by forcing another fumble at the Carolina 5 yard line.

I felt sorry for Cam Newton and the Carolina offense in the ame way I felt sorry for Denver's offense two years ago.

I am glad my favorite team won another Superbowl. 3-5 in the big game is much better than 2-6. Happy for Manning also. Nice to se ehim get another ring. I doubt he will play again next year. Time to pass the torch and let Brock O take over.

Congrats to Denver on a greast season. I guess they did not perform poorly this year.

Congrats also to the Panthers. They will be very, very good again next year.

• Options
    Originally posted by: SanctionIICongrats to Denver on a great season. I guess they did not perform poorly this year.

You think????? image

I know, back at the beginning of the season, the jury was definitely out, but they proved the old adage that Defense Wins Games.

Congratulations again SanctionII image

Edited to add:

Follow up to Grote15's post.....That's the thing that helps Wade Phillips' case for being a head coach. As has been shown by the Broncos this year, Seattle 2 years ago, the Bears in 1985, and the Ravens, if you have a great defense, you can win as long as your offense is decent and doesn't make mistakes.

Steve
  • Options
    Congrats to Denver on a greast season. I guess they did not perform poorly this year.

No, they certainly did not, LOL..

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been watching Peyton since the UT days, when he made our UGA/UT games a blast to watch. Glad he got the 2nd ring.

That Denver D was impressive to watch, they absolutely dominated the field and I was happy to see showboat Newton humbled. According to the Sunday morning ESPN roundtable though, that statement makes me a total racist. Anybody else catch that, they said anyone on social media not liking Cam was racist, flat out statement....ridiculous.
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats, SanctionII!

That Denver D was stifling. Overall it was a good game to watch as well.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cam Newton was right on this one. If you don't like my dance keep me out of the end zone. I guess that Denver didn't like his dance. image Heck of a defense by Denver.
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats to Denver.

What was up with Carolina running that useless wishbone offense time after time.

You'd think after no success in the first half (I think one time they gained about 11 yards ) they would drum up something new in the second half but noooooo, same useless 2 yard gain play.

Oh well, Denver's D was truly amazing.

One other point, as much as I like Peyton Manning, this Super Bowl Denver win should be remembered as how the defense won the game, not the offense.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DoubleEagle59

One other point, as much as I like Peyton Manning, this Super Bowl Denver win should be remembered as how the defense won the game, not the offense.

I don't think anyone on the planet would think the other way.

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The game was fairly sloppy and ugly but Manning did what he needed to do to keep the ball and the clock moving. The Denver D totally shut down bigmouth Newton who looked like a deer caught in the headlights...and I couldn't be happier. "Dab" that, Superman...
    Also, Denver's punter should have been on the short list for MVP. He kept the Panthers from having a short field.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: telephoto1
    The game was fairly sloppy and ugly but Manning did what he needed to do to keep the ball and the clock moving. The Denver D totally shut down bigmouth Newton who looked like a deer caught in the headlights...and I couldn't be happier. "Dab" that, Superman...
    Also, Denver's punter should have been on the short list for MVP. He kept the Panthers from having a short field.

I told the people I was watching with that that guy was having a great game and they looked at me like I was nuts. He completely took Ginn out of the game as a returner - just a tremendous performance.
  • Options
    Now that the Superbowl is over the Denver has its third Lombardi trophy it is time to turn my sports attention to the Golden State Warriors and their quest for a second title in a row.

The Warriors play Houston in Oakland tomorrow and hopefully will put a beat down in the Rockets.

This weekend is the NBA All Star break, with some of the best basketball players in the world and all of people who want to "be seen" in Toronto at such a happening event being on gaudy display. Most of the All Star activities are a big bore (i.e. dunk contest, skills contest) and the game itself is usually nothing other than run and gun with no defense. The three point shooting contest may be worth a watch just to see if Curry or Thompson can make every shot.

For those Sports Talk denizens who have no interest in basketball, hold tight, spring training and the cactus league/grapefruit league will be hear in about 10 days.

Further, the NFL draft is in about 2 months for those who are already pining away for the end of July when NFL camps open for the 2016 season, with college football camps starting about a week later.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats Bronco fans!
  • Options
    Thanks perkdog.

I saw photos of the parade in downtown Denver today. Sunny day and a packed house of fans decked out in Bronco colors. A fun event for those in Bronco Country.

It will be interesting to see how the team does next year, post Manning. To keep the defense intact is going to cost some $. Add to that the need to improve the offense.

Nice problem for the Broncos to have though. Can't wait for the 2016 season to begin.