Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

The Victorian 3d, Maundy vs. Currency Pt. LXIII

Wow, I can not believe the TPGs don't have this square yet. The upcoming January, 2016 Heritage auction has some nice bits, but one is "overrepresented" -

the 1845 3d graded MS68 is a demo of a Maundy 3d liberated from its set mates and evidently being touted as currency.

All I can say is "Caveat emptor" (buyer beware) as these 3ds are frequently misattributed and then slabbed up. I must say that I learned the hard way by purchasing a sight-unseen 1841 and 1853 3d slabbed as currency when in fact they were not.

The following earlier dates should be viewed with prejudice, whether offered raw or slabbed, and IMO should be considered Maundy until proven currency:

1841-1848, 1851-1854.

The criteria is NOT whether PL or satin finish as had been told many times, but whether the coin is well-struck and with the denticles regularly and clearly struck as should be the devices. Maundy may have soft details to the midst of Vicky's head however. Some Maundy are a bit sloppily prepared with problems such as lettering over letters in the legends & somewhat uneven strike quality.
Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
Well, just Love coins, period.

Comments