Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

France: silver jeton of Louis XV, "Aurora in cloud chariot", undated (ca. 1740)

France: silver jeton of Louis XV, "Aurora in cloud chariot", undated (ca. 1740)

Obverse: LUD. XV. REX CHRISTIANISS, bust of Louis XV right.

Reverse: LATE.CVNCTA.PROFVNDIT., female deity or personification Aurora(?) in biga (two-horse chariot) galloping right through clouds, holding torch or candle.

Feuardent-13203, PCGS AU58, cert. #32657468. Ex-Atlas Numismatics, 10/13/2015.

These French jetons are often surprisingly inexpensive. One sees some spectacular ones from the 19th century, but I had to have this early 18th century example when I saw the toning and the reasonably modest price. Not too long ago, I briefly had another like it with the same Louis XV bust but a different reverse. They're roughly the size of a United States half-dollar. Big silver with nice toning and some history to it, already in PCGS plastic with a TrueView image? I couldn't resist it. Also, I later found out this is population 1 in all grades at PCGS as of late 2015, which is kind of neat, though not completely suprising.

As to the symbolism of the reverse, interpretations vary, but I would agree with those who say the personification is that of Aurora, the Roman goddess of the dawn. One interpretation has it that here she represents Christianity bringing peace to the world, though I think of this more as a motif representing enlightenment in general. This was, of course, struck during the era commonly referred to as the Age of Enlightenment.

Miscellaneous links:

Larger image

PCGS cert verification page (with TrueView image link)

Secondary discussion about this piece (Collectors Universe US Coins forum)

Wikipedia links:

Jeton

Louis XV of France

Aurora (mythology)

Age of Enlightenment

When posted here, this coin was part of my "Eclectic Box of 20" collection.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great eye appeal !!

I love the toning and that 'old collection' look.

As for the reverse
    My money's on something to the effect of 'They come from far and wide and throw their money away on a chance that Lady Luck will give them a ride'

• Options
    PatARPatAR Posts: 347 ✭✭✭
    Fantastic piece!

I read that the reverse may mean "Gives all with largesse" suggesting Louis XV was quite generous. Based on his ceding of many French territories to other countries that description seems appropriate.
  • Options
    IosephusIosephus Posts: 872 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful piece! There's some great designs amongst the series of French jetons. I presume the signature is for Jean Duvivier?
  • Options
    beautiful, I've been seeing some jetons lately and it's a world coin I am growing fond of image
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wonderful newp! Love the biga on the reverse.
    -Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it true the silver jetons are more scarce than the copper jetons?
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options

<< <i>Is it true the silver jetons are more scarce than the copper jetons? >>

I see a lot more silver jetons than copper ones. At least from this era. I've never really found a reliable source for noting the mintages or scarcity of these, but I also haven't looked too hard. All three of the French jetons I have in my collection are silver, graded AU/MS...and all were very affordable.
    -Brandon
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lord tremendous eye appeal. Great pickup!
  • Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    Luv it.. Congrats my friend
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    image Whats not to like? Great piece Rob.
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed! You HAVE done your homework sir! image
  • Options
    I am following my own recommendation.
    Very nice eye appeal and overall look.
  • Options
    Wow! You sold me! That is absolutely beautiful! Congratulations Lordmarcovan.
    Persuing choice countermarked coinage on 2 reales.

Enjoyed numismatic conversations with Eric P. Newman, Dave Akers, Jules Reiver, David Davis, Russ Logan, John McCloskey, Kirk Gorman, W. David Perkins...
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely gorgeous Rob ! My gut tells me that it belongs to a very underestimated and underpriced category and you chose the nicest I've seen so far. image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    zompelszompels Posts: 215 ✭✭
    Tremendous eye appeal and portrait is wonderful....congrats for your new issue.
  • Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just beautiful with great eye appeal. Congrats!

Tom

• Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Gorgeous!!

I cannot figure out PCGS. They will slab these, but not most medals or so-called dollars. No rhyme or reason.
  • Options

<< <i>Gorgeous!!

I cannot figure out PCGS. They will slab these, but not most medals or so-called dollars. No rhyme or reason. >>

PCGS has expanded their list of things they will slab significantly in the past couple years.

They have been slabbing all so-called dollars indexed in the Hibler and Kappen since January of 2013 (Link).

They also now slab a great many types of medals.

The full list of tokens and medals PCGS grades can be found at this link.

Have you been absent for a while?
    -Brandon

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I too was behind the times in my assumptions as to what PCGS would grade.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    According to my 1991 Gadoury jeton book, F13203 indicates that the reverse is that of Amphitrite (wife of Poseidon) in a biga at the gallop. There seem to be at least 20 varieties of this basic type with different obverses and two reverse legends, the scarcer being "CVNTA SERENA FACIT." This doesn't really make sense and the attribution in Gadoury is certainly incorrect. The same basic reverse was used for several Louis XIV varieties (cf F12885, etc) where it is attributed to Aurora holding a torch above the clouds and which makes a lot more sense.

Very nice example of an interesting and huge series. Ought to provide an interesting chase to tie down the iconography.

Congrats.
    Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    (This thread got ghost-bumped when I deleted a post made in error.)

• Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: lordmarcovan

(This thread got ghost-bumped when I deleted a post made in error.)

Which is just fine, don't mind seeing this coin again.