Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

A British NEWP - George I

King George I, 1726 Sixpence with small Roses and Plumes reverse, NGC AU50. Listed as rare in ESC and the highest of two graded at NGC. I'm sure there are better in the UK but this is the best one I have seen for sale for my type set.

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neat. I have its big brother. (And imagine you likely have one of that type as well.)

I find it interesting that George I, King of England, barely spoke English at all, from what I've read. He must've had a heavy Germanic accent. Accustomed as we are to modern and 20th century British royals, that's sort of hard to imagine.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wonderful example- congrats. I do not own a George I 6d. It is sort of amazing how certain dates within a series can be overlooked... or just under appreciated.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    It's interesting to me how some of the types/dates can be so difficult to find. I have a reasonably high grade 1723 SSC also, but I use an ESC 1177 version in VF30 in my type set. This is the version with the French Arms at the date in is a pretty darn rare piece to find in anything above g-vg.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    zompelszompels Posts: 215 ✭✭
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great addition to your type set.

Congrats!
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JCHouston

Your comments are spot on... try and find a 1697 Crown. There are other examples-perhaps not as extreme, but even a 1751 Crown is by no means a common coin

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice 50 that's for sure! - this rare - a 50 will do blindly image
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another thing that strikes me is how much one sees the familial resemblance in these portraits of George I when compared with those of George II (at least in the latter's younger days).

So the portraits must've been reasonably realistic (and/or the resemblance fairly strong) for that to show on such a small engraved medium like a coin die.

On the other hand, I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.