Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

An Ancient Horse

A newp for the week, the writeup from the auction catalogue.

THRACE. Maroneia. Ca. 377-365 BC. AR triobol (2.83 gm). Forepart of horse left; M-H-T around / Grape bunch on vine; ivy-leaf to right; all within dotted square within incuse square. Schönert-Geiss 263. Crisply struck in good metal and attractive. NGC AU 5/5 - 5/5.

In differing accounts Maroneia was said to have been founded by Maron, a son of Dionysus, or a companion of Osiris. According to Pseudo-Scymnus it was founded by Chios in the first half of the 6th century BC. According to Pliny, its ancient name was Ortagures. Maroneia was close to the Ismaros mentioned by Homer in the Odyssey and some scholars identify Maroneia with his Ismaros.It was located on the hill of Aghios Gheorgis. Maroneia was the largest and most important of all ancient Greek colonies of Western Thrace and famed for its wine.

Comments

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a great design Jeff. Very nice!
  • Options
    that is a beauty!
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've always found the "forepart" images like one sees on these and the MFBs (Man-Faced Bulls) slightly disturbing- it's as if they took a giant sword and whacked the critter in two right down the middle! image

An interesting artistic convention, for sure. It's also interesting how on this coin they ornamented the area of the truncation where the horse was bisected.

It's a little strange to my eyes, but neat. One wonders how the ancient engravers came up with their design ideas. Perhaps there were all sorts of traditions and allusions and allegories in there that have been lost to history.

Seriously, though, that's a nice one, and I like grapes in coin designs, for some reason. Never had any grape-laden ancients, but it could happen one day. That reverse design seems to be struck up very nicely indeed.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    There is something mesmerizing about this coin, and not to sound like a guy from Animal House, but what's up with that falic looking thing on the reverse image

Anyhow I can see how NGC would call it 5x5, it's a gorgeous piece.

Congrats.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    I'm always trying to understand the allegorical references used by the engravers, and usually failing miserably. Simple things like the grapes are easy, since the city was famed for its wine production, others not so much. Even though I read opinions of experts it is extremely difficult to put ourselves in the place of the ancients since our thought processes, and the things we think we know, are so completely different.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm always trying to understand the allegorical references used by the engravers, and usually failing miserably. Simple things like the grapes are easy, since the city was famed for its wine production, others not so much. Even though I read opinions of experts it is extremely difficult to put ourselves in the place of the ancients since our thought processes, and the things we think we know, are so completely different. >>

I think the engravers had a bit too much of that fermented grape juice when they were designing the reverse of that coin, and perhaps a few women in their midst image

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is my Maroneia tetradrachm with Dionysus holding grapes.
  • Options

<< <i>Here is my Maroneia tetradrachm with Dionysus holding grapes. >>

That's a nice piece, and it looks like that was their style...the bunch of grapes in Dionysus' hands look just like the OP coin, but hanging down. Very cool...
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually, it's just half a horse image

Great coin! Congrats! image
    -Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Here is my Maroneia tetradrachm with Dionysus holding grapes. >>

That's a nice piece, and it looks like that was their style...the bunch of grapes in Dionysus' hands look just like the OP coin, but hanging down. Very cool... >>

I think the picture in the OP is upside down image

collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    <<I've always found the "forepart" images like one sees on these and the MFBs (Man-Faced Bulls) slightly disturbing- it's as if they took a giant sword and whacked the critter in two right down the middle!

An interesting artistic convention, for sure. It's also interesting how on this coin they ornamented the area of the truncation where the horse was bisected.

It's a little strange to my eyes, but neat. One wonders how the ancient engravers came up with their design ideas. Perhaps there were all sorts of traditions and allusions and allegories in there that have been lost to history. >>

Interesting perspective. How do you feel about monarchs on coins? Do they appeared to have been beheaded?
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fantastic coin! I just purchased its larger brother in an auction last week after a lengthy search for the "right" coin.
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think the picture in the OP is upside down >>

That's what happens when you Photoshop late at night kids. image
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Horse and grapes, a combination that is hard to beat.
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How do you feel about monarchs on coins? Do they appeared to have been beheaded? >>

Good point. In some cases where the truncation is a little further down towards the shoulders, yes- it does look a bit like they've been beheaded. But one gets more used to seeing disembodied heads on coins than half-bodied animals.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.