Home Sports Talk
Options

Cardinals/Cubs 2015 NLDS Thread

telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
One of the game's long standing rivalries writes another chapter starting tomorrow. The Cubs come in off a dominant win over Pittsburgh featuring arguably the league's best arm, and the Central Division champion Cards bring a squad that is somewhat rested but still slightly bruised, though they have a proven record of bringing it in the post season, wounded or not.

So... what are your predictions? Who prevails this time? Do the Redbirds bring their A game and squash yet another Cinderella, or was "Back To The Future" prophetic and 2015 really is the year of the Cubs?

Fire away...

RIP Mom- 1932-2012

Comments

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No predictions, but it would be pretty cool if BTTF was correct.
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always pick against the Cards at your peril, but something tells me the Cubbies are going to come to play in this series. If Arrieta hadn't gone last night and was able to (potentially) throw twice, I'd be leaning like the Tower of Pisa toward Chicago. STL had the best record in baseball, but the injuries racked up along with the wins. And they didn't exactly enter the postseason with anything resembling momentum, seeing as they were shut out in their final three games of the reg season. But again, this is an unparalleled culture of winning we're talking about here. A key cog goes down and the Cardinals always proceed as if nothing ever happened.

All of that said, a very tricky series when it comes to prognostications. Hope my dad (STL fan since the Musial days) doesn't read this: With wavering conviction I say the Cubs are going to get them.
  • Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the Cardinals, especially Molina, were 100% healthy I don't think the Series would even be close. The reality, though, is that the Cardinals aren't anywhere close to 100%, and I think the Cubs should probably be favored. At some point, of course, the Cubs will lose, because that's what they do. But I think the Dodgers are more likely to take them out than the Redbirds. I hope I'm wrong and the Cards sweep, but I do not have the good feeling I usually have when the playoffs start.
    This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

In one of the Back to the Future movies the cubs were predicted to win the world series in 2015 . So there you go , its a lock pretty much.
  • Options
    Love tomorrow night's Lester-Lackey matchup. Can't wait. GO CUBS!!!
  • Options
    To be fair, the Cards had already locked up the division title before those last 3 games with Atlanta and were playing a lot of bench guys, as well as using ATL as an opportunity to test Wainwright's arm. Ideally from a momentum/morale standpoint I would have liked to see them going into the NLDS with a sweep (something they likely could have done had they played the A team all three games) but I think it was a wise move by Matheny to rest Yadi et. al...

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This may be the most under appreciated rivalry in professional sports

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    Great start for the Birds tonight.....I know talent can override experience but the Cardinals will be difficult to beat. I like their bullpen and defense more and many of these games will come down to one run.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Dallas-- how the heck are you ?
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭
    Regardless of how the rest of the series plays out, I think the Cards domination of the division is creeping to an end. Maybe not next year, but with the youthful talent and the managerial wisdom of Maddon, I think the Cubs are in for a fun 5+ years image
  • Options
    The fiasco in the 2nd inning spelled doom. I can only surmise that it was pressure that caused the errors, as all involved are much better than that.

It will be interesting to see if the Cards can get to Arrieta tonight; even though I'm a lifelong STL fan I must admit to having grave concerns. If we should go down 2-1 with another game to go at Wrigley and a fired up Cub team, it will be grim. Wacha needs to be dominant out of the gate as STL likely won't score much to back him up if Arrieta pitches his usual game.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    Forget the players. Just remember the names of the teams. This THE CARDINALS. And THE CUBS. It can't be anything other than that. I'm very worried. image

Oh boy, is this great!
    ~ Flounder
  • Options
    Congrats to the long-suffering Cub fans as their team clears its first hurdle. So will they be going against LA or NY?

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go Cubbies! Good for them and their fans! image
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm definitely pulling for the Cubs!! I hope they can win it all.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In Back To The Future II when Marty McFly traveled to October, 2015 the sports headline was that the Cubs won the 2015 World Series.

Maybe it will happen.