Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1869 (AH1286) Maldives 1/2 Larin question...

Do you think this little (actually super tiny) guy will grade? Looks totally original, has some PVC on it, a small rinse in Acetone will get rid of that, but it's a bit of center. Looks like many were made like this...what are your thoughts? These aren't rare by any means, but it's tougher to come by a better struck coin, this one has an XF'ish look to it. It's tiny though, like a 25C Cal Frac. Let me know if you think he'll grade...

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have no idea, and have never seen the type.

PVC might be your only concern, there, unless you can get it all off, but since PCGS has mandatory Secure Plus for world coins, it'll have to go through that sniffer thing. Maybe the sniffer doesn't mind acetone? The question is whether it would pick up residual PVC or not, and if it did, what PCGS would then do.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    This one was in the batch of 12 that were just graded...

One of the more positive surprises, PCGS liked this coin. I hoped they would image

I've never seen another one, so I have to be happy with it at this high grade level!