Home Sports Talk
Options

2015 MLB playoffs

galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,151 ✭✭✭✭✭
Really proud of my hometown boys last night. They're young, but intrepid. No one looked scared. Keuchel was nothing short of mesmerizing. Just never gets old watching a pitcher with supreme stuff (and subpar velocity) painting a Picasso with movement, does it? Fat chance the Yanks' lineup had of catching the ball on the fat part of the bat with any consistency. Could potentially be an even better mound performance in tonight's game from Arrieta and/or Cole.

Looking forward to a great postseason. My formal WS prediction (I know, technically we're one game in already, but whatevs) is LA over Toronto in 7.

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So far, the old mantra rings true: good pitching shuts down good hitting..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    Hopefully Dodger's pitching stays good, and the bats don't fall asleep.
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    All roadies have been victorious thus far, including both LSS squads image
  • Options
    Houston vs. Texas in the ALCS would be pretty dope. Buncha young dudes running around in 2 ping pong ball stadiums.

K.C. looks like grizzled old veterans after a year's worth of popularity. image
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Astros played like the Royals did last year. They need to play Dyson in right field. He's a sparkplug and isn't afraid to go after a ball like Rios is.
  • Options
    What a bush league play by Utley. Nothing about that screamed baseball. If you go in hard to break up a dp ball, you should be required to start your slide before you get to the bag. If you don't, you should be called out before you get to your feet.

If I'm a NYM pitcher and he comes up to the plate in G3, I'm salivating at the thought of retribution. Forget the arm.....forget the back.....I'd be taking dead aim at his fibula.
  • Options
    Utley is still a puzzycat. Tejada should be glad Ty Cobb isn't on the Dodgers. image Let's examine a couple things here. First of all, this wasn't the first time Utley flipped Tejada. The SS completed a DP in September, 2010 while fending off the exact same "slide". That was baseball. It happens all the time. Consider how many times it happened to Utley when he was the pivot man in Philly. Now he's an old gamer.

Howie Kendrick gave a good interview afterwards. Just kind of shrugged it off. Yeah, he's been there a billion times, too.

Utley will be there again because they'll need his bat, anyways. Mattingly knows that if they come after him, he gets awarded a base and the Mets get a warning or an ejection. Psychologically, more than physically, the Dodgers have the advantage. The best thing the Mets can do right now is salivate at the thought of having an average pitcher on the hill for L.A. tomorrow and a wobbly Kershaw in Game 4. The best answer for them would be to avoid another flight west. By winning. The Dodgers still can't hit. They've had one good inning out of 18.
  • Options
    Kershaw was dealing tonight -- on 3 days' rest. Finally deserving of postseason proppage.

Three Game 5s!
  • Options
    I liked the eighth inning of the Royals-Astros game. 👍 Yogi was right. It ain't over till it's over
  • Options
    Sorry, Mets. No best answer. Utley never leaves the dugout. Nor did N.Y. bats last night. Now Greinke for Game 5. I expect a visit to town from the Chicago Party Crashers by the weekend. Even if you can't stand the Cubs by now, you can't stop them. Only some ghost or ancient tale of magical twists could do that.
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Utley got two games but will try to whine his way out of it on appeal no doubt. It's hard to justify it as a normal slide when you don't even start sliding until you're even with the bag. Utley will get drilled at the first opportunity, whenever that may be-this season or next. Bet on it.

Who battles the Cubs-LA or NY? Predictions? Momentum would suggest LA but I'm liking this Mets squad.

Edit to add... rumor has it STL fans are offering Steve Bartman free NLCS tickets. image

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Being a Brewer fan I am happy three team from my division made the playoffs. Stinks the Cards had to play the Cubs in the NLDS. Would have been fun to see them play in the NLCS. That being said I am happy Molina and the Cards are out of the playoffs. Now I am fully expecting the Cubs to make it to Game 7 of the NLCS. I bought Bartman a front row seat the game 7. The curse will continue but how this year?
  • Options

<< <i>Being a Brewer fan I am happy three team from my division made the playoffs. Stinks the Cards had to play the Cubs in the NLDS. Would have been fun to see them play in the NLCS. That being said I am happy Molina and the Cards are out of the playoffs. Now I am fully expecting the Cubs to make it to Game 7 of the NLCS. I bought Bartman a front row seat the game 7. The curse will continue but how this year? >>

Curious...I get it if you aren't a Card fan but why single out Molina in particular?

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    Speaking from a strictly baseball perspective, I'm glad to see Molina gone from this year's playoffs as well as all of his teammates. They deserve the ultimate respect for consistently being a fantastic winning organization. It's easy to be jealous of them. They're freekin awesome. A completely healthy Cardinals team? Wainwright? Jon Jay? Matt Adams? Yeah, glad they're done. Because they're that good. image
  • Options

<< <i>Speaking from a strictly baseball perspective, I'm glad to see Molina gone from this year's playoffs as well as all of his teammates. They deserve the ultimate respect for consistently being a fantastic winning organization. It's easy to be jealous of them. They're freekin awesome. A completely healthy Cardinals team? Wainwright? Jon Jay? Matt Adams? Yeah, glad they're done. Because they're that good. image >>

...and Oscar Taveras (RIP)....and Carlos Martinez (he of extremely filthy stuff). The mere fact that they won 100 with an unfathomable number of losses/injuries is almost ring worthy in and of itself.

But let's give the Cubs some due credit here. They played sound baseball in that series, and they're going to be a very tough out moving forward. Besides, who doesn't want to see what potentially may or may not happen as the Chicago Cubs inch closer to the WS? image

As for the Bartman debacle, I still find it interesting that very few people mention the name Alex Gonzalez. To this day he is the true goat. Had he not doused the Bartman flame with gasoline, the 8th inning never would have turned into the raging inferno it did.

C'mon, Astros.....let's do this tonight!
  • Options
    Indeed, my friend, as I will NEVER forget the anguish I felt after Gonzalez bobble. The Bartman moment was just an additional kick in the ribs. The faces of the Wrigley faithful that night told the story.

Here are the faces of today. Irrefutably special.

• Options
    The Astros met the real Johnny Cueto tonightimage and are now on their way home
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    KC and Jays for the AL champs.

Oh my....memories of 1985......not too good for us Jays fans.

Should be a great series as there was a lot of bad blood between these two teams during the regular season.

I've got to go with the Jays in seven but I am a little worried that the Royals will pull this one out.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    Watched the 7th late last night and that is by far the most bizarre inning I've ever seen. Have no earthly idea what was going on with Andrus -- dude acted like he completely forgot how to catch a baseball.

And then we had Houston/KC. I walked into my house, turned on the tele and saw Valbuena rounding the bases after a 2-run ding dong in the 2nd. Sure wish a higher power would've spared a couple of hours of my life by telling me that no Astro would reach base after that...
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Watched the 7th late last night and that is by far the most bizarre inning I've ever seen. Have no earthly idea what was going on with Andrus -- dude acted like he completely forgot how to catch a baseball.

And then we had Houston/KC. I walked into my house, turned on the tele and saw Valbuena rounding the bases after a 2-run ding dong in the 2nd. Sure wish a higher power would've spared a couple of hours of my life by telling me that no Astro would reach base after that... >>

Yea, that 7th inning, which took 53 minutes to play, should go down in history as the most bizarre, exciting and emotional inning of all time.

Everything happened in that inning, including a once in a lifetime baseball event.

One important thing to take note is the umpires did get every call correct (much to the dismay of a few drunken yahoos in the crowd) and it was a properly called game by the umps.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Being a Brewer fan I am happy three team from my division made the playoffs. Stinks the Cards had to play the Cubs in the NLDS. Would have been fun to see them play in the NLCS. That being said I am happy Molina and the Cards are out of the playoffs. Now I am fully expecting the Cubs to make it to Game 7 of the NLCS. I bought Bartman a front row seat the game 7. The curse will continue but how this year? >>

Curious...I get it if you aren't a Card fan but why single out Molina in particular? >>

Molina in the playoffs against the 'Crew would wipe his eyes like he was crying in combat against beast mode (Fielder) and Nyger Mogan. Guy is a total d'bag not just for that in my opinion. but that is #1 why I can't stand him.
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    Apologies to any die hard Rangers fans on these boards, but your fan base does not deserve a World Series title. I went to Dallas for the Pats game this past weekend, and after the game, sat in a sports bar watching the Rangers Game 3. I did not hear a single cheer for any big moment in that game (and there were plenty). I'm not kidding. The bar was packed, yet nobody seemed to care what was going on. Complete 180 from watching playoff baseball in Boston. I'm glad they choked it away last night.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Curious...I get it if you aren't a Card fan but why single out Molina in particular? >>

Molina in the playoffs against the 'Crew would wipe his eyes like he was crying in combat against beast mode (Fielder) and Nyger Mogan. Guy is a total d'bag not just for that in my opinion. but that is #1 why I can't stand him. >>

Geez...wasn't the last time the Brewers and Cards met in the playoffs like 4 years ago? I'm thinking Milwaukee needs to stop fixating on STL and assemble a team that can break .500 again.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012