Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Oddball Pistol Pete mail day.

I've been collecting Pete Maravich cards for a few years and yet I had never seen or heard of one of these before it popped up on eBay about a week ago. It's out of a French magazine called 5 Majeur and between 1991 and 1993 issues contained perforated cards you could tear out and collect. They're printed on thick magazine paper and measure approximately 3 7/8 x 6. When I looked on Worthpoint I only came up with 3 results so it looks to be pretty rare. I have no idea if anybody grades these, but Beckett does have a checklist on their website, although it's incomplete and the Maravich isn't listed. I don't see it being graded very high because it's paper, but it would be cool if I could get it encapsulated.

Comments

• Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is cool.
    Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love odd ball stuff. Thanks for sharing

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    IndianaJonesIndianaJones Posts: 346 ✭✭✭
    Mires---What a thoroughly dynamite Pistol Pete card!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do see if PSA will grade this elegant, eye appealing piece. Bring to them your research of other sales and potential grading. Even if no one has actually graded one; there's nothing wrong with being the first!. I mean, the sources for cards of some famous athletes can be pretty obscure. I'm recalling a very rare, hyper expensive card of worldwide soccer hero, Pele.

So, phone PSA customer service. If you can, give them the details of the source of this piece, and remember to print VERY CLEARLY and EXPLICITLY what you wish the PSA cert to say. See if the French magazine offered any other NBA and/or athletes from other sports. Though there's no card number; that's immaterial.

Again, what an evocative, hyper rare card of THE PISTOL. The look on Pete's face is priceless. Actually, the cameraman snapped the shot at precisely the right time. Absolutely perfect. Being a bit over-sized, that is a genuine plus, for it will stand out in your Maravich display and perhaps be your highlight, or at least one of them. Thank for sharing with us, bro. I'm happy for you. Hope PSA accepts this baby with open arms and finds the perfect holder for it. Maybe it's produced from thin cardstock or even thick paper; regardless, a nice graded card holder will "thicken it up nicely".---Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)

PS I honestly wouldn't call that card "oddball"; it's too good-looking and rare for that. Esoteric, rare foreign card, French piece, but hey, not oddball. It's better than any mainstream gum card, IMHO.
  • Options

<< <i>Mires---What a thoroughly dynamite Pistol Pete card!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do see if PSA will grade this elegant, eye appealing piece. Bring to them your research of other sales and potential grading. Even if no one has actually graded one; there's nothing wrong with being the first!. I mean, the sources for cards of some famous athletes can be pretty obscure. I'm recalling a very rare, hyper expensive card of worldwide soccer hero, Pele.

So, phone PSA customer service. If you can, give them the details of the source of this piece, and remember to print VERY CLEARLY and EXPLICITLY what you wish the PSA cert to say. See if the French magazine offered any other NBA and/or athletes from other sports. Though there's no card number; that's immaterial.

Again, what an evocative, hyper rare card of THE PISTOL. The look on Pete's face is priceless. Actually, the cameraman snapped the shot at precisely the right time. Absolutely perfect. Being a bit over-sized, that is a genuine plus, for it will stand out in your Maravich display and perhaps be your highlight, or at least one of them. Thank for sharing with us, bro. I'm happy for you. Hope PSA accepts this baby with open arms and finds the perfect holder for it. Maybe it's produced from thin cardstock or even thick paper; regardless, a nice graded card holder will "thicken it up nicely".---Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)

PS I honestly wouldn't call that card "oddball"; it's too good-looking and rare for that. Esoteric, rare foreign card, French piece, but hey, not oddball. It's better than any mainstream gum card, IMHO. >>

Wow, thanks for the awesome reply, and everyone else who took the time to do so!!

As for the grading issue, I see PSA has graded a few Michael Jordan cards from this issue/set, but the four different colored MJs are the only ones listed in the Pop Report. I've never sent a card for grading before so I didn't know what it would take to get PSA to accept my card when there isn't a complete checklist on their site. There are a handful of other players cards from this set listed on eBay now so others are probably available at any given time. There is a French collector online who says he has the entire set, and he's scanned the fronts and backs of every card in the set which he's posted online. I'm gonna do a little more research to find out more about this set. If PSA has graded others for the set maybe it's just a matter of me sending them the card for evaluation. It wasn't an expensive purchase, so it may cost more for grading than I even paid for it, but having it in a PSA holder would make the card so much sweeter IMO.

Again, thanks for all the kind words. They really mean a lot to me. I'm over the moon with this acquisition. It's not everyday you can find a really rare card for your PC player, for so little money. Most of the other players in the set go unsold on eBay even at $5-$10. I've searched new Maravich listings on eBay every day for the last few years and I don't remember ever seeing this card. Rare or not I really love the card. To me it's got one of the best images of any Maravich card out there, and the size makes the photo "pop" out at you.
  • Options
    IndianaJonesIndianaJones Posts: 346 ✭✭✭
    Mires---

You're most welcome, bro! It sounds as if PSA should be able to grade your Pistol Pete, without any qualms. Still, arm yourself with the research to present to their customer service dept. Pin down precisely what you feel would be the proper set name on the PSA cert. Never, ever, assume they'll get it right without your help. They do an excellent job, but this is NOT a standard, mainstream card. Also, do not forget to include the "HAND CUT" designation on your invoice. Honestly, in the condition it is in, it's more valuable than a mainstream card because of everything you and I have already expressed, and the pivotal fact it is so well preserved. When it comes to regionals, there tends to be very defiant, yes defiant, built-in condition rarity. Oh, the problems that result from regional cards. Just have fun letting your mind explore what a youngster COULD have easily done with such a HAND CUT card that is not standard sized. This was one of the frequents points I made regarding my subjects in my forthcoming book on postwar regional / food issues, entitled NEVER CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN.

To be sure, this Pete will cost more to get graded than what you perhaps paid for the actual card, but do not let that trifle deter you. In the end, once this "SWEET PETE" is ensconced in the PSA holder, you know in your heart it will be worth every penny and the hassle of the whole thing. The size and simple appearance, combined with that dynamite eye appealing photo is so compelling. I picture it being one of the highlights of your Pistol Pete collection, displayed in an All-State aluminum glass case (never in the sun, yet still with a cover over it when not viewing!) Sorry, I get carried away; do as you wish, of course.

When it comes to rare regional pieces, price can be all over the place. Nevertheless, when you combine rarity and beauty, as you have here, it is priceless, bro.

Wishing you a very smooth journey to that end. Kind regards. ---Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>As for the grading issue, I see PSA has graded a few Michael Jordan cards from this issue/set, but the four different colored MJs are the only ones listed in the Pop Report. I've never sent a card for grading before so I didn't know what it would take to get PSA to accept my card when there isn't a complete checklist on their site. >>

PSA typically requires a complete checklist to get the first card from a set graded. Someone else has done the work for you to get the first MJ from the set graded.

<< <i>If PSA has graded others for the set maybe it's just a matter of me sending them the card for evaluation. >>

This^, you're guaranteed a Pop 1, none higher for at least a while, so grade is somewhat irrelevant.

Sweet card! The French issues can be very tough as they rarely pop up for sale. NewSport is probably the most common of French cards seen (another magazine issue), Poulain's are really tough for an 80s/90s issue.