Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

print variation or uv damage?

read in the past w/ the 58 aaron that turns out a majority of those cards ended up being manufactured via uv lighting.

curious to any of you pv guys out there if there is any way that this is factory or simply someone leaving their 78 in a grow room?

great centering at least!

Comments

• Options
    That must be a factory flaw. Maybe the add green guy was sick that day. image

I know I have a '78 set somewhere with a Ryan that has inner bordering which fades from green to that shade of blue.
  • Options
    i'm happy either way so as she's pretty unique.

bought her raw a few months back and sent her in just for kicks.

i did request no qualifiers, but was surprised to see that it didn't get qualified for something as it's pretty apparent.

maybe they didn't know either which is why it didn't get the (pd).

was just hoping someone w/ printing knowledge could tell for sure...
  • Options
    royalbrettroyalbrett Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

<< <i>curious to any of you pv guys out there if there is any way that this is factory or simply someone leaving their 78 in a grow room? >>

Man, if I would have known there could have been a premium added, I would have had a place to put all my cards back in the early 90s.
    Yeah, I uploaded that KC icon in 2001
  • Options
    there used to be extremely decent premiums applied to this card. not sure if it was ever truly debunked or not:

if i remember correctly the only way to possibly tell if it were manufactured or not was by the yellow in braves/indian logo

58 blue aaron

• Options
    Cool card! Looks like it's missing a pass or two of color. IMO with how fanatical Ryan Collectors are, I'd bet that card would bring a premium.

• Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Sunlight or ongoing light exposure will turn green to blue. The first blue Aaron's to show up sold at a premium because it was thought it might be a limited print defect. Maybe some were. But such a defect would affect all or part of a sheet, not one card. And the fact so many blue Aarons then started showing up led many to believe they were being manufactured. I picked up the Mays below thinking it might also be a print defect, but because front and back were affected I now tend to think it was light damage/exposure.

One of the guys on Net 54 did some experiments with cards and different light sources over time and seemed to confirm that green to blue is likely light damage

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭
    my only thought that this one has a chance to actually be a pd, is because of the yellow.

extremely hard to tell via scan + there's not much of it (halo's) , but in hand the "yellow" is still actually pretty yellow.

could be way off and probably will never know for sure....

for as my mentor, stuart smalley, would say: "...and that's o.k."
  • Options
    Maybe it's a printing defect,but I don't see a premium on cards like that.Early 90's top loaders and a summer of the sunlight at a flea market will do the same thing.I know from experience.
    I really like serious people.
  • Options

<< <i>but I don't see a premium on cards like that >>

we'll never know! image
  • Options
    For me,it's hard to place a premium on something that could be the result of multiple explanations.However,if you like it collect it image
  • Options
    agreed and was simply saying that it will never be offered for sale (hopefully).
  • Options
    If you're keeping it you can attach whichever explanation you like on it! image
  • Options
    then it is most certainly a factory print defect which was left out in direct sun on a flea market table for 1.8 years!
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    For the record, it is not a solid green color being turned into the color blue. The green appearance on the Aaron and Mays cards was created by printing a solid layer of yellow ink on top of a solid layer of nice bright blue ink. Exposure to sunlight removes the yellow and exposes the blue ink underneath. The sunlight will also affect the blue, and the change to the blue and other colors is what makes it easy to tell that cards like the Aaron and Mays and Ryan didn't leave the printer that way.
  • Options
    saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭
    You know it is fairly easy to determine as individual print dots are easily seen under say 40x magnification. It wouldn't be too hard to tell if a given card was completely devoid of yellow print dots and if so would point to yellow printing plate having been left out in the process. If you found some yellow dots on the card it would point to fading.

Will say that it is not uncommon to find Topps cards that are missing one of the colors due to printing process error.

Blackless cards get a lot of run. But there are yellow-less, cyan-less and magenta-less out there as well.
    Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • Options

• Options
    saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭

<< <i>image

image >>

Which leads to another sub-set of printing errors - streaks or blobs that lack a particular color. In this Ryan looks like missing streak of yellow.

Most famous example is the blackless streak that erased the name of Frank Thomas in 1990 Topps.
    Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • Options
    clarke442clarke442 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like it is missing the yellow and magenta, the magenta mostly for the script Angels.
    Tough to tell from the scan, but the image still looks strong to be "faded" by sunlight.
    Just an opinion.
    Still hard to explain the grade, no (PD), unless the 4 is for the color.