Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

old holders?

What is the significance of the old holders(smaller size) in terms of grading standards. Should 19th century type coins be resubmitted?

Comments

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends on the coin.

In general, proofs were graded extremely tight. A flashy cameo eye appealing proof with a few stray marks or hairline patches would have received a PF64 at that time. Now it could warrant as high as PF66. An old holdered proof that has eye appeal almost certainly will go up in grade.

In general, the MS coins are not such upgrade candidates. Maybe about one in three will go up.

Should you get them regraded? Personally, in the past I've cracked and regraded, but a few months ago decided that I'd rather have the old holdered coin around for my viewing pleasure. To me, it's much nicer to look at that coin as a lock upgrade than to submit it and possibly have the disappointment of not having it go up!
  • Options
    Don't crack them out! If you think the coin will upgrade, send it in with instructions NOT to crack it out unless it is an upgrade. I agree with TDN, just enjoy your high-end coins and when your done with your registry set or decide to sell....then send them in for upgrade.
    JSwan / Swan Family Type Collection
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCM: Good advice from these two knowlegeable collectors.

An interesting side comment.

Indeed I just acquired two beautiful old ANACS MS-70/70 1986-W Statue of Liberty. I like them in the older ANACS "holders" even though they don't have the recognition of the PCGS MS-70 slabs. <p>

However, someday people will want the older slabs because of the slab and not the coin! Astonishing!

But the sad part about these ANACS certificates of the SOL is that were dated 9-11-86, exactly 15 years to the day before WTC. I have had people wanting to buy them just for that reason. A strange world we live in.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    littlewicherlittlewicher Posts: 1,822 ✭✭
    They'll have definite value.

For some life lasts a short while, but the memories it holds last forever.
    -Laura Swenson

In memory of BL, SM, and KG. 16 and forever young, rest in peace.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Swan has made a good point. This was one of the reasons why the Benson II coins did so well. They may have not been in old holders but they were graded to a similar standard. It was left up to the potential buyers to figure out (or "dream") what the coins would grade the 2nd time through. More and more collections are showing up at auctions in their old holders. It seems to provoke a feeding frenzy. Many auction buyers want to be the one who paid 10x bid for coin "X" that was undergraded by 2 points.....and scores by selling it for 20x bid. It makes a great story.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    flykiteflykite Posts: 147
    I really wished i'd talked to you guys beforehand! While I have been
    submitting coins as a club member for about 4 years now, I had never
    done a re-submit until recently. I did not know you could request
    keeping the coins in the original slabs as I thought they would
    crack them out to regrade them. As it turned out, they all came back
    the same grade, and I KNOW 2 of them were slam-dunk 66FBL.

I hate playing these games; so do I now crack-em and resubmit that
    way? Please advise.