Home Sports Talk

Six Rulers

BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭✭✭
Any VI Kings fans in the house? Two and one, baby! Hope they make the playoffs this year.
Daniel

Comments

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go Vikings! Hope we can give the hated Pack a run for the division!
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sold on Bridgewater but AP will keep them relevant.

Green Bay is the best team in the conference.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    Bridgewater looks a lot better than any of the other options we have seen in a young Viking QB for a LONG time.

He doesn't seem to throw a good deep ball, otherwise he looks pretty good.

Offensive line is banged up, if none of their key players get seriously injured, they look like they might make a playoff run.

Anthony Barr might be the next superstar on defense with Smith, Rhodes and Griffen not far behind.

It's nice to have a little hope.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭
    Meanwhile the Bears have no light at the end of the tunnel. Between bad contracts from previous GM and switching to a 3-4 and getting rid of people, they are rebuidling and in such a bad position. Traded Allen and Bostic. I can see Forte being traded as well. If available, maybe drat a franchise QB with the great pick we should have next year.

EDA: More stuff.
    I feel your pain. I thought Cutler was going to be a great QB.
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Meanwhile the Bears have no light at the end of the tunnel. >>

This may help: Link
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about Corderall Patterson and Charles Johnson need to step up, both are talented receivers if they could get the ball, no reason with AP they cant get open
  • BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am surprised at how little Cordarrelle Patterson is being used. I know they had high hopes when they drafted him. Bridgewater does look at lot better than the last few QBs (Ponder, Tarvaris Jackson, Cassel). Having AP back definitely helps. Agreed that offensive line is the weak link.
    Daniel

<< <i>How about Corderall Patterson and Charles Johnson need to step up, both are talented receivers if they could get the ball, no reason with AP they cant get open >>

After all the preseason hype on the Bridgewater/Johnson connection, he's been a huge disappointment so far. Cordarelle has always been a poor man's Percy Harvin, great on runs and returns, but without the route running ability.
    Other than 2009, the Vikings have not seemed to be able to pass downfield despite defense's having to account for AP. Seems odd to me that play-action wouldn't open it up on medium to long pass plays. Of course none of the QB's since have been quite as good as Favre was that year. That was a FUN year!

Patterson has some great open field running ability, but it looks like he lost his chance to be a contributor in practice, and despite his talent, has not been able to be more than a part time player.

Biggest disappointment so far has been not being able to get the ball to Mike Wallace. He looked like a very fast and talented receiver. Perhaps the banged up O-line can't give Bridgewater enough time on deeper routes, but I am beginning to wonder if Teddy is just not able to throw the deep ball.

BTW don't forget Joe Webb LOL!
    Nice and surprising record at 6-2! Of course, the teams they're beating are no great shakes. Still have 2 against the Pack in the future but it's nice they're beating the teams they should be beating (opening day notwithstanding).
    Daniel
    Vikes have played great defense so far.

Adrian is getting much better at the 5-10 yard runs instead of the all or nothing runs he was getting.

Kicker Walsh has gotten over his early season "yips" and is making everything.

Bridgewater is still a bit inconsistant, but has been making plays when he needs to.

I am not predicting any deep playoff runs, but these things are how to build a winning team in my opinion.

Green Bay has stumbled the last couple of weeks. Maybe they aren't as good as once thought?

GO VIKES!!
    This will be a big game in Atlanta for the Vikes after getting whipped by the Pack. I sure didn't see Chicago beating Green Bay at Lambeau!
    Defense looked GREAT today!
  • VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭
    The D is definitely a force to be reckoned with.
    Anthony Barr is a STUD!
    I was shocked the Bears helped us by beating Green Bay on Thanksgiving. Nice to see the Vikes took advantage yesterday!
    Daniel
    I realize the defensive injuries were a big part of yesterday's loss to the Seahawks but this far into the season, it's clear what we have with the 2015 Vikings. This is a good, not great, team. They are beating the poor teams that they're supposed to beat and losing to the better teams. Teams they've beaten have a combined 34-50 record while teams they've lost to are 29-19. With Arizona, Chicago, Giants and Green Bay left on the schedule, they should finish a very nice 10-6. That should work for a playoff spot. Maybe win a playoff game but this is not a team that's going to beat a few playoff teams in a row. Still - much improved from the last few years!
    Daniel
    Fair assessment.
    Two starters out for season on offensive line doesn't help either. Most times Bridgewater is under heavy rush from one or two players. No quarterback performs well when running for his life. Maybe Russel Wilson, but not Teddy B.
  • FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: BaltimoreYankee
    I realize the defensive injuries were a big part of yesterday's loss to the Seahawks but this far into the season, it's clear what we have with the 2015 Vikings. This is a good, not great, team. They are beating the poor teams that they're supposed to beat and losing to the better teams. Teams they've beaten have a combined 34-50 record while teams they've lost to are 29-19. With Arizona, Chicago, Giants and Green Bay left on the schedule, they should finish a very nice 10-6. That should work for a playoff spot. Maybe win a playoff game but this is not a team that's going to beat a few playoff teams in a row. Still - much improved from the last few years!

Could quote this for the Packers too. Just remove the last sentence since we are a shadow of what we were last year.

Good luck to you and the last game of the season is gonna be a good one.
    Need a MONSTER game from Peterson Thursday!
    Played hard, just another loss. Hope we get some players healthy, we need Barr and Smith!
    Tough loss. Too many fumbles killed them. Walsh had already nailed a 54 yard FG and one at 40+. You just have to at least get off the attempt in that situation.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those last few plays gave me a really uneasy feeling. It almost felt like the Vikes were determined to keep pushing it until the inevitable happened. Did they forget that Blair Walsh busted one from downtown earlier? They acted like they were so desperate to get another 10-15 because the guy's range doesn't extend beyond 40. I totally get shortening the attempt, but how about that guy in the backfield if you're bound and determined to do so?

That final play in particular had catastrophe written all over it. Teddy B didn't have the look of a guy who was ready to immediately put the ball in the stands if a quick out wasn't there. If what actually happened didn't, there was a distinct possibility of a completion and tackle in bounds.

Totally agree with last two posts! Vikings were not getting up to the line of scrimmage fast enough. Had they not wasted so much time they would have had an option to run or pass on the last play. As it was everyone knew it was going to be a pass and a very slow developing pass play at that. Offensive line simply hasn't given Bridgewater much time. Kalil sure doesn't look like a #4 overall pick does he?

Players played their best. Bad coaching cost them the chance of winning or at least sending the game into OT (if Walsh makes the kick, as he should).
    The next two games will show Vikings fans what this team really is made up of. Home games against average teams. I have no illusions about the Vikes being a great team, they are not, but they should show us they are a very good team...........I hope.
  • FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    I was expecting the final game of the season to be flexed because it would decide the division but unfortunately I see the Vikings dropping one against the Bears or Giants. The Giants are still in the hunt and will put up a fight and the Bears usually play you tough.
    I am not even thinking about the final game of the season although the Packers could certainly lose before then as well. I am hoping the Vikings will show they have made the improvement from average to slightly above average. Becoming a good to very good team. I don't think either team in the next two weeks will be a push-over. Vikings have also lost several KEY players to injury, especially on defense.

If they manage to beat the Bears and Giants, the last game of the season will be very interesting.

I like Mike Zimmer and how he is leading the team.
    Great victory over the Bears. Next week looks much tougher. Go Vikes!!!
    Great job by Bridge stepping it up this past week! Hopefully the Beckham suspension holds up for Sunday.
    Daniel
    Wow, Vikes defense simply dominated tonight. Next weeks game should be a good one!
    Way to go Vikings. Offense needs to play MUCH better or Seattle is going to obliterate us!

Feels great to beat the Packers and take the division championship.
    Vikings are getting better each week and have a strong nucleus of young players.

I do think, however, they'd have a better shot beating GB next week than Seattle even at home, but this will certainly be a huge test for them.

Seattle looks tough!

I do think, however, they'd have a better shot beating GB next week than Seattle even at home, but this will certainly be a huge test for them.

Agree with Tim. Both teams would have had an easier time losing last night. GB lost and now gets to play Washington. Bridgewater was not as sharp last might as he had been lately and the interception he threw was a pretty bad decision.

I'll take 11-5 and first place any time over last year's 7-9 team. Bring on Seattle and let's see what happens!
    Daniel
    That one is going to sting for a long time..

As Walsh was getting ready to kick, I turned to the person next to me and said "he's too close and doesn't like kicking from the left hashmark" was also thinking that the Vikes ALWAYS seem to find a way to lose. No surprises here. :-(
  • telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Laces out, Finkle!"

Even though I'm primarily a Bears fan I think the online garbage being thrown at Walsh is unforgivable and shows that many MN fans have zero class. If it weren't for him drilling 40 yarders they wouldn't have been in a position to even have a shot at winning that stupid game.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
    A lot of harsh (and stupid) things being said on sports talk radio. My bottom line is you simply can't miss the "easy" kicks and win a championship.

Offense certainly could have scored a touchdown or two and there would have been no need for the end of the game kick, BUT that's what the kicker gets paid to do.

If he continues to have problems kicking short field goals and extra points, I think Vikings need to sacrifice the extra long kick-offs and go with a more reliable kicker. Walsh had a terrible year at the end of his college career and was fabulous his first year with the Vikes. He has to be reliable and consistent in order to keep his job.
  • telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I realize that kickers get put in game-winning situations on occasion, but placing him there in a do-or-die game speaks more to the lack of offense rather than the kicker's ability. IMO.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
    Agree with telephoto here. Hard to win a game with zero touchdowns.

That said, the Vikings certainly beat my expectations this year. 11 wins and a playoff appearance. I did want a playoff win (one game) but this team wasn't going to go deep (can anyone see them beating Seattle, Arizona, Carolina, New England, etc?) anyway. A lot of the 11 wins were against poor to middling competition. They did beat KC and they did beat GB once.

Bridgewater really seemed to learn from his rookie mistakes - looks like a nice young QB for the future. Hopefully they get some more pass protection over the off season.
    Daniel
    I agree winning without scoring a touchdown is difficult. Teams are not going to win championships with unreliable kickers. Many games are decided by three points or less.

Vikings lost close games to Denver and Arizona, so I wouldn't dismiss their chances of going deeper into the playoffs.

Overall, I am happy to see the teams progress.