Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

If a Leprechaun gives you a gold coin and it turns into a pebble, do you have any recourse?

Coins in Movies: "The Luck of the Irish" (1948) with Tyrone Power.

I watched the film "The Luck of the Irish" on television several times when I was a kid,
sometimes with my father who was into Irish-related films.

The film is on DVD now and I watched it recently, and found that there was a coin involved in the story.

While visiting Ireland, American newspaper reporter Tyrone Power meets a Leprechaun who gives him a
gold coin as a "lucky coin".

Later local girl Anne Baxter identifies the coin as a Spanish Doubloon, sixteenth century,
from the (1588) Armada wreckage.

The coin is shown, it is, of course, an imitation prop coin.

The coin is apparently based on an old Spanish coin of King Ferdinand.
The legend reads "NAVARR" and "FERNANDVS".

After Tyrone returns to New York, he makes a couple of bad decisions, and the coin turns into a pebble.

There is more on my website under "Coins in Movies".

https://www.brianrxm.com
The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
Coins in Movies
Coins on Television

Comments

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If a Leprechaun gives you a gold coin and it turns into a pebble, do you have any recourse?

I read that and had to laugh, because it reminded me of something that just happened to me. (I learned that the 10-year guaranty on my slab had expired, which will cost me a few grand. In effect, my coin had turned into a pebble!)

Anyway, cool pics!
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neat website! Thanks. I'm watching now the BBC production from the 80s of I Claudius. Lots of gold coins shown there, mostly during gambling scenes, but none really discernible. Great production though....even if a bit fantastical!

Tom

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On hopes that if my leprechaun coin turns into a pebble, it will at least be a Yap stone.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

<< <i>On hopes that if my leprechaun coin turns into a pebble, it will at least be a Yap stone. >>

I hope your SDB doesn't explode when it happens.image
    Paul
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isn't that a copy of an excellente (sp? - possible double)?
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>On hopes that if my leprechaun coin turns into a pebble, it will at least be a Yap stone. >>

I hope your SDB doesn't explode when it happens.image >>

True 'dat. One certainly wouldn't want to be standing around if the "pennies from heaven" were of the Yap kind.

But since my SDB is rather large, and "pebble" was specified, I'd risk it. image

7jags- yes, the prop coin does rather resemble a gold excelente, I guess, but all the (double-) excelentes I've seen (pictures of) had facing portraits of both Ferdinand and Isabella?

Still, for a prop coin, they didn't do too bad a job of making it look Renaissance-ish.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.