Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Franklin Half dollars grading

I have noticed a lot of Franklin half dollars graded MS-65 and 66 by pcgs have unattractive toning. I understand they probable came from mint set but still they are not fully original mint luster and sell for a lot of money with FBL. Mint luster seems to have a lot to do with grading other uncirculated coins. Peace dollars I believe use original mint luster more for grading uncirculated condition. I have read a lot on the web about grading Franklins but this subject does not seem to be talked about.
Can Franklin half dollars be dipped or conserved in some manner. Please, your thoughts on this subject.

Comments

• Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
    Having unattractive toning does not equate to "not fully original luster".

Dipping/conserving toned franks from mint sets will only work on those that are lightly toned. You average mint set coin will NOT dip out well.
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    luster doesn't take to still imaging very well as well as
    some unattractive toning can be a different tale in hand especially if the luster mix in it is muted

that toning can diffuse breaks in luster as well as other imperfections
    it's best to leave it on and buy what suits one's eye
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    Thank you for the help. You have saved me from making some hard learned mistakes.
    I will not ask if the Earth is flat ,, smiles
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think "mint set" toned Franklins get a grading break to a certain degree simply because the tarnish subdues the luster in many cases.
    Luster should (and I think does) play a factor in the overall grade but would not eliminate a coin from grading higher simply because it was muted slightly. Does that make sense?
    At the end of the day though, grading is subjective and there are many "no thanks, I'll pass and wait for something nicer" Franklins to be had out there.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of the time what I see others calling "unattractive" toning is what I'd call neutral or either slightly positive or slightly negative. That fits most toned coins out there. It's just the way it is. Some people find most any toning unattractive. I happen to find blast white coins unattractive if they aren't commonly found that way (ie rolled BU Morgan dollars, BU rolls from the post 1930 period, etc.). Blast white isn't the norm for 19th century silver other than Morgan dollars. Less than 5% of them are blast white from original rolls or hoards....and it's probably much less than that.

I find most of the toned Franklin half dollars from US mint sets to be "interesting." I rarely say they are unattractive. They are just toned.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file