Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Unopened GSA CC boxes on ebay

bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭
Seen several auctions ... Are the Unopened GSA CC boxes on Ebay, a scam along line of unopened 50s.60s Proof sets ?

Comments

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Seen several auctions ... Are the Unopened GSA CC boxes on Ebay, a scam along line of unopened 50s.60s Proof sets ? >>

Many have reported that such deals are scams w/the boxes cherry-picked and re-sealed.

I know that I wouldn't buy one....

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would not take a chance on those either.
    Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭
    It's sort of like "unopened" proof/mint sets; they are easily re-sealed after being picked through.
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The risk isn't worth it. If you opened one up and found rocks, you're stuck.
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those with no markings on the outside are the common 1882,3,and 4. Since the vast majority of these
    dollars are MS 63 it is likely that is what you get. Of course there is a chance it is better or worse but
    that is the gamble. I suspect most are unopened and unsearched but as has been demonstrated they
    can be opened, looked at, and then resealed or substituted.

Let us know if you take the gamble with before and after pics....we'll be watching!

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is someone now making those GSA outside shipping boxes? They are on eBay every day. I find it hard to believe that there are still thousands of those floating around unopened. (besides the guy on here who has that whole table full of them.)
  • Options
    If you want the fun of opening one but not the expense try here:
    GSA unopened/opened
  • Options
    TONEDDOLLARSTONEDDOLLARS Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭
    I have bought several of these many years ago. I opened four of these about three weeks ago, and two of them had stickers on them from a dealers inventory type notes.
    The other two were very nice coins, with one being at least a 65 maybe a six. The two with stickers.......... two of the biggest dogs I've seen.
    I checked these boxes very carefully when purchased as I had the right to return them if I choose. Could see no reason to do so, and I have seen many GSA's
    as they are my main focus of collecting.
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It's sort of like "unopened" proof/mint sets; they are easily re-sealed after being picked through. >>

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have bought several of these many years ago. I opened four of these about three weeks ago, and two of them had stickers on them from a dealers inventory type notes.
    The other two were very nice coins, with one being at least a 65 maybe a six. The two with stickers.......... two of the biggest dogs I've seen.
    I checked these boxes very carefully when purchased as I had the right to return them if I choose. Could see no reason to do so, and I have seen many GSA's
    as they are my main focus of collecting. >>

I know it was not funny to you but I would have loved to see the look on your face pulling out GSA's with dealer stickers on them! Scammers will try anything!
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Correct me if I'm wrong but it's my understanding that the plain ol' white GSA boxes contain the common CC's, 82,83,and 84.
    I've seen 1885 CC's marked with purple type face for sale.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    White, light blue and tan were all used for the common three GSA CC's. The better date coins had
    a date stamp (like 1885) on the box. If it still is in a master box those are easily identified by the
    outer mailing labels which has the date listed.

bobimage
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Jerry Sienfeld explains that a non-smoking hotel room means that currently no one is smoking in it.

Same with unopened stuff on eBay.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file