Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

55 Years Ago Today Ted Williams hits a Home Run last at bat

Or did he?

Hi everyone,

I thought this would be a good time to talk about Ted Williams' last at bat.

Ted Williams leaves baseball with a big bang!

Is there anything better than this scenario?

It’s the last game of your career of 21 years and at the “last at bat” you hit a homer!

It was September 28, 1960 at Fenway Park and Boston was playing Baltimore. Williams was facing Jack Fisher who was protecting a 2 run lead.

The count was 1-1 when Ted connected for his 521st career home run! Is there any better way to finish up a career?

Williams had finished the year before on a bad note having had back problems – he didn’t want to finish up his career in that manner so he returned in 1960 – hit 29 homers and batted a respectable .316.

Here's the problem?

Boston didn't have him finish the season on the road - after he played that last home game - the team went on the road to NY without the slugger. BTW, he did hit a HR in his first at bat that same season.

Here's something I have to put this event into artistic prospective.

Artwork commemorating Ted's last at bat.

It comes from the Philadelphia Bulletin Newspaper:

Not exactly "high" art a la Starks. It will also go in my thread on items that have sports historical significance.

I do have another piece commemorating what many called 1960 his "Comeback" and some thought would never happen.

And last, here's how some other "notables" did in their career "last at bat."

Mike

Comments

• Options
    QUITCRABQUITCRAB Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭
    I think I read somewhere that the stadium wasn't even sold out in Boston for Williams last game Pretty crazy . Scott
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    Not only wasn't it sold out, there were no more than 12,000 people there.

I loved the Roy Hobbs notes in that chart. If you haven't read the book, it's MUCH more of a downer!
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's correct about the size of the crowd.

The people went out of their way to cheer him and in keeping with his reputation, he would not step out and "tip" his hat.

Would've been a great moment for Boston fans.
    Mike
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭
    The pitcher who gave up this HR, Jack Fisher is a local guy who I've seen at several area charitable events, card shows, etc. and you can't meet a nicer guy. He's embraced his place in history by not only giving up the Willams HR, he additionally gave up the Roger Maris 60th HR the next season, not to mention being a decent pitcher in his own right....At one of the events, Tracy Stallard who gave up Maris' famed 61st HR (the one after Fisher) was there as well & he actually stayed at Fisher's home while he was in town...Very cool to think of two pitcher's who gave up famous Homers staying together (I believe they were eventually teammates on the Mets).

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭
    Nice writeup and that's a very cool artwork, Mike.

As with many wartime hero ballplayers that lost time to service, just think of what that final HR tally might've been (some sites have adjusted numbers in the 650 range had Ted not missed those 5 seasons due to the war).
  • Options

<< <i>That's correct about the size of the crowd.

The people went out of their way to cheer him and in keeping with his reputation, he would not step out and "tip" his hat.

Would've been a great moment for Boston fans. >>

The next inning after the HR, Williams went to play left field to begin the inning but Pinky Higgins immediately subbed him with Carrol Hardy. The Fenway Faithful went crazy when Williams trotted back to the dugout but he still did not acknowledge the fans and their cheers.

My Dad listened to this game on the radio and mentions it whenever we talk baseball history. I have heard the story 100+ times but enjoy whenever he brings it up.
    flcardtrader@yahoo.com
    Website
    Shopify Store
    Ebay Store
  • Options

<< <i>My Dad listened to this game on the radio and mentions it whenever we talk baseball history. I have heard the story 100+ times but enjoy whenever he brings it up.
    >>

This is absolutely cool!

I'm a fan of memorabilia that has historical perspective - like original artwork.

Thanx for sharing this!
    Mike
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭
    I just took a look at the boxscore of that game & other than the Williams HR (BTW the game was played on a Wednesday afternoon; the crowd should have been bigger but had to be somewhat affected by kids in school & people @ work), the things that struck me was that Steve Barber had actually started for the Orioles and only lasted 1/3 of an inning and that Fisher came in for relief and pitched the rest of the way...(Barber gave up a couple runs by walking three, hit someone & threw a wild pitch).

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice writeup and that's a very cool artwork, Mike.

As with many wartime hero ballplayers that lost time to service, just think of what that final HR tally might've been (some sites have adjusted numbers in the 650 range had Ted not missed those 5 seasons due to the war). >>

I always wonder if he would have hit .400 a couple more times. To me he's the greatest hitter there's ever been.
  • Options
    RobbyRobby Posts: 657 ✭✭✭
    Mike
    I'm going to add one to your list

Stan Musial ......... In 1963 ..... When Stan came up to bat in the sixth inning he singled past the stretched arm of the rookie, Pete Rose , who would eventually break Stan's hit record ! Right after the hit , they took him out of the game ! Me and my Mom and Dad and Sister were there to give him a standing ovation !
    Interesting story about how Ted finished his career with such little fanfare !
    Robbie
    Collect 1964 Topps Baseball
    1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set
  • Options
    Thanx for all your replies.

Another thing that might have affected the small attendance for Ted's last home stand was their poor record - they finished the season in 7th place - 65 and 89.
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>Mike
    I'm going to add one to your list

Stan Musial ......... In 1963 ..... When Stan came up to bat in the sixth inning he singled past the stretched arm of the rookie, Pete Rose , who would eventually break Stan's hit record ! Right after the hit , they took him out of the game ! Me and my Mom and Dad and Sister were there to give him a standing ovation !
    Interesting story about how Ted finished his career with such little fanfare !
    Robbie >>

Thanx Robbie.

Ya know? I have no problem with having a veteran like Stan - get a hit and call it for him - and do everything they can to insure that person gets the attention they deserve.
    Mike
  • Options
    scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭
    My dad was actually at Ted Williams' last game on Sept 28, 1960, and darn near CAUGHT that final home run ball!

The front page of the next day's Boston Globe shows the ball landing in the Red Sox bullpen, and right there on the front page is my father (and hardly any other people - there were 10,454 fans at the game, and hardly any in the bleachers!). We have a copy of the paper at his house in a frame. I'd love to find a digital version of it via some newspaper archives, and will post a pic if I can find it.

Does anyone know of a place which may have this? I just signed up for newspapers.com and hoped to find it there, but they don't have the Boston Globe online from 1960.
  • Options
    mrpeanut39mrpeanut39 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭
    John Updike wrote a very famous, very good piece about this back then. If you're so inclined, it is a very good read. Maybe a non-Luddite can post a link to the article.
    "I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973
  • Options

<< <i>John Updike wrote a very famous, very good piece about this back then. If you're so inclined, it is a very good read. Maybe a non-Luddite can post a link to the article. >>

When I was researching this whole thing, I found the article by Updike - he was working for the New Yorker - had no idea - Updike's Rabbit Angstrom tetralogy is a favorite of mine.

Here's The Article.

Thanx for adding to the moment - I left this out and other stuff in fear it could get too lengthy.
    Mike