Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Free Submissions Question

ProofmorganProofmorgan Posts: 723 ✭✭✭✭✭
I just received my free 8 for the year. I've been saving up some coins I feel are undergraded and I'm going for reconsideration. I want to keep the holders if they don't upgrade so regrade is not an option. The fine print says $3k Max, but almost all of my coins are over that with a max of $13,000. How will this play out?
Collector of Original Early Gold with beginnings in Proof Morgan collecting.

Comments

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like you saved the wrong coins for the free grading.

• Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can list them on the submittal form for $3k each, however if they get lost while at PCGS, they will only cover you for up to $24K.

They may also contact you and ask for additional grading fees, this is not likely on a voucher submission.

I believe that you will need to pay the upgrade tax under reconsideration if any of the coins upgrade.
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    If you specify a minimum grade, and they don't make it you will get the coin back in the original holder.
    As far as insurance, regular submissions have a limit of $3k per coin and covers each coin while at PCGS and in return transit.

It looks like you'll have to use the Express level @ $20k per coin and use your 8 regular for something else.
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You can list them on the submittal form for $3k each, however if they get lost while at PCGS, they will only cover you for up to $24K. >>

That's not entirely true if not all of the coins get lost.

Say you list the $13k @ $3k and it gets lost or damaged while at @PCGS. You would only get $3k.
    You'd only get $24k if all all lost.

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,482 ✭✭✭✭
    Just call customer service and save yourself some headaches over bad but good intentioned advice.

1-800-447-8848
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it common for pcgs to "lose" coins?
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is it common for pcgs to "lose" coins? >>

No. But if the PO loses them on their way home the insurance PCGS buys will only cover the declared value.

It is also rare for a coin to be damaged while in PCGS's hands but it has happened.
    Lance.
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have never heard of a confirmed incident of PCGS having ever lost a coin.
    When in doubt, don't.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file