Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Opinions...A "sealed" case vs. FASC boxes...A change in philosophy?

After reading the 1980 case break thread, I think this topic warrants further discussion. I bring it up here because i feel that it is important enough for its own thread and not to be lost in the original case break thread. Where multiple topics are being brought up.

After seeing the condition of one or two boxes from the case break, so far, it disturbs me enough that I may be changing my entire philosophy on the value of a "sealed" case. Primarily, the premium that is usually placed upon it. As many have stated its a gamble and an expensive one at that. Off the top of my head, I probably will steer away from any baseball case prior to 1981. Im just not willing to lose or gamble that money. Versus a bird in hand.

For example, if I were in the market for a 1986 Fleer basketball or a '71, or '75 case. Its an easy choice. You can have 16 (or 20, whichever number makes up a case) individually wrapped authenticated visually attractive wax boxes. Or one big two tone cardboard box that you'd be more inclined to cover up or put in the back of a closet. A box that may have been thrown around and as we are now seeing...even if the case appears in good shape it clearly doesn't have a reflection on its contents. As the one wax box appears crushed with some of the outer coloring torn off. Am I to pay a premium for that box because it has FASC written on the label despite what you see in hand? Similar to buying the label and not the card. Ive gotten pristine, bright colored, sharp cornered wax boxes from Steve without the FASC label about 99% of the time. None from a case break. And I'm willing to bet the contents in those boxes are probably more mint from the box than the above example.

And with todays level of counterfeiters, how difficult would it be to fake a large cardboard box, match the one or two colors, line up the copper staple holes and call it a sealed case? Isn't there a pretty nice empty 1952 case still for sale out there? How many experts and time did it take to prove the Hitler diaries fake? Not to mention you can't get any renowned art experts to authentic art of any significant value due to the amount and high quality of counterfeits being produced.

Would you pay $560,000 for 16 boxes of '86 fleer that you can view (16 x $35k)? Or add another $100,000 (10-20% premium?) for a "sealed" case of 86 fleer basketball. Id be just as happy with the 16 authenticated boxes vs looking at a large cardboard box and never really knowing...the condition of the boxes inside or even if its some rocks with styrofoam.

I don't know. Just some food for thought. Because Im disappointed on how some of the '80 boxes in the case break turned out and really makes me gun shy. Especially paying a premium because its from a sealed case but still having to take a gamble on the condition of the individual wax box. Im def not blaming Steve nor the OP. Thats the risk we all take. Even buying a pristine wax box, how are the packs? ugh...thats another discussion. IMHO. Thoughts?
Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image

Comments

• Options
    The condition of the case is going to make all the difference in the world. If it looks damaged, the boxes are likely damaged inside. I don't know why people in the break assumed every box would be perfect. BBCE is unique in the service they provide but mainly the expertise in unopened. Since you are talking about a case that probably doesn't exist, I'll take a pristine sealed case all day over the equivalent wrapped boxes.
  • Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    well, even a 77 or 78 case i still feel the same. For me, anything pre 81 baseball. the only other way being if i were buying the case as an investment and flipping it. But there have been many 75 mini FASC boxes and in great condition.

i understand how they thought every box, or at least the box that they'd receive would be "perfect" because wasn't the premium putting it at around $1000? when a bbce box can be bought in the 800's recently.
    also, i have a feeling that there will be an 86 fleer case coming out more sooner than later...not sealed though...image

..i didn't know the movie on is 3 hrs long, i need to get some sleep....even more football on tomorrow.
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think FASC is still the way to go when you can find them. Aside from the risk of a damaged box, a case break is the safest method for unopened. However, I too have thought about how hard it would be to replace staples to make a fake case but I don't think this would be simple. Non-FASC means you can be getting boxes from garbage cases or having made up boxes where people ripped until they hit the key card and then backfilled it with packs from another similar box.
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    FASC box should command a premium. There are some collectors out there who think they should receive a discount for buying a perfect box or FASC from a seller. It is very hard to find high quality boxes out there. For boxes that are 1980 and older, I believe it is really hard to be too picky on them as there not as many vs. the supply in the years above. I think the a sealed case is still the way to go. If there is damage to the case then the buyer needs to take that into consideration and so does the seller when discussing pricing. Steve does a very good job of authenticating packs but just because it has been authenticated by Steve does not mean it has not been searched. There are collectors out there who can tell you the contents of the pack because of the first card or last card. A box FASC or a sealed case guarantees you a box that has not been cherry picked.

Good topic
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases