Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I'm digging the new PCGS slabs

coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will admit I didn't care for them at first but I'm digging them lately. Its not my nature to care about slabs as I like NGC
slabs equally but today I got a few tokens back today and granted the one Harrison is a very think chunk of silver
But the slab is hefty but light looking.......makes me feel like my token is shielded from the outside world image

Maybe just me today, but I'm really liking them.

Anyone else have comments?

Comments

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like them better too. Clarity is improved and nearly like a quality glass. Corner tabs seem less likely to break also. In auctions it's obvious when viewing the new plastic and in a very good way.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like em too. But, I just discovered they don't fit in the NGC boxes. Not a big deal at all since they are pcgs slabs it's just now they're too wide.image
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, agreed that they are a big improvement.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    The new slabs are 3 to 6 grams lighter than the previous slabs. I like the new slabs better also.
    I love the 3 P's: PB&J, PBR and PCGS.
  • Options
    Stupid double posts.
  • Options
    cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same as what Colt said, plus I like the fact they do not slop around in the PCGS boxes - I think this is where a good part of the marks in the viewing area occur.

Ken
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    if they're groovy to ya...right on...get your groove on...you go girl

to me they're ok...a lil beefier feel but nothing to be like this over image
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,888 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I admit it. When PCGS came out with prongs I hated them. I thought it would ruin pictures. I was very wrong. Much more of the rims were revealed. Even edge lettering was viewable.

Then PCGS improved the color and clarity of their holders. Gone was the blue tint. Optics were so much better.

IMO, today's holders are, by far, the best PCGS has even made...putting aside counterfeit-detection tactics. Scuffs clean up more easily with polish, white balance is truer with photography. And whatever secret advances have been made to thwart counterfeiting are welcome.

So WTG, PCGS. Great work!
    Lanc.e
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I like em too. But, I just discovered they don't fit in the NGC boxes. Not a big deal at all since they are pcgs slabs it's just now they're too wide.image >>

I hadn't noticed that. Mine were in a PCGS box and I got out an NGC box to find out for myself. I am glad to know now and not when I try to cross-fill boxes!

• Options
    CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭
    Is there a new PCGS blue box or will they fit in the same old blue boxes?

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is there a new PCGS blue box or will they fit in the same old blue boxes? >>

A fair amount fit the old box but the thicker ones do not.

• Options
    I like them for imaging much better as I use a Canon T5i with a Sigma 150mm macro and now the camera has not one time ever focused on the slab. My setup always focuses on the coin now and is much faster to get to focus and this is good. I also notices that I am having less issues with glare and that light transmission is better also.
  • Options
    The new holders fit into the PCGS blue boxes. They just don't rattle around like the previous ones.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Is there a new PCGS blue box or will they fit in the same old blue boxes? >>

A fair amount fit the old box but the thicker ones do not. >>

Actually it looks like they used the extra thick model that came out for the curved Baseball coins for your medal and they don't fit any of the boxes.

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will we someday call the new PCGS slabs the fatty PCGS slab?

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭

I just got, thanks to Bochiman, 4 of the NGC boxes to, as VanHalen says, 'cross-fill'. Now, each must stay in their own boxes. I don't know about the rest of you, but I have also found that the new slabs are a bit difficult to remove when they are in the first slot of the PCGS boxes.
    I'll come up with something.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,560 ✭✭✭✭✭
    they look pretty good.
  • Options
    What "thicker ones" are you referring to? I'm finding that the new holders for Morgan Dollars and lower denominations fit in the blue PCGS boxes just fine. They're a little tighter so they don't jiggle around any.
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. I wonder if they fit in the Intercept shield boxes?

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed !!! :-)
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't know about the rest of you, but I have also found that the new slabs are a bit difficult to remove when they are in the first slot of the PCGS boxes. >>

This came up during the PCGS luncheon at Rosemont ANA show. DW explained that because of the way the boxes are manufactured, a row of four at a time, one box will have an end slot that is slightly narrower. So it is a one-in-four chance that a front or rear slot will be tight.
    Lance.
  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow. I wonder if they fit in the Intercept shield boxes? >>

Which ones? Track box or the individual sleeves?
  • Options
    The difficulty of getting a new slab into the first slot of a PCGS box has an easy fix. Just turn the slab around and put it in backwards and it will fit. Funny but true. Check it out. It works!
    Proud recipient of the coveted "YOU SUCK!" Award, 6/03/07, 2/03/08, and 10/27/08.
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Which ones? Track box or the individual sleeves? >>

The sleeves. I've been waiting for the track boxes to come out again but so far no. Maybe now they'll make them again.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>But, I just discovered they don't fit in the NGC boxes. >>

Funny, I keep my Box of 20 coins in an NGC box when they're in the SDB (since I have both PCGS and NGC slabs), and they seem to fit fine. That includes some I had slabbed by PCGS back in April.

Or have they changed the PCGS holder since then? image

It could be that my NGC box is pretty old. It's one of those sorta transparent smoke grey ones, not the silvery lookin' ones.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm looking forward to seeing the new form factor PCGS slab.

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like them as well - just wish there were more variety in their samples. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

NOTHING PCGS fits in those things. I have to crush the edges of the Intercepts to get em to let me get a PCGS coin OUT.
    Way too tight. Or maybe mine are just too old. image
  • Options
    machoponchomachoponcho Posts: 355 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I don't know about the rest of you, but I have also found that the new slabs are a bit difficult to remove when they are in the first slot of the PCGS boxes. >>

This came up during the PCGS luncheon at Rosemont ANA show. DW explained that because of the way the boxes are manufactured, a row of four at a time, one box will have an end slot that is slightly narrower. So it is a one-in-four chance that a front or rear slot will be tight.
    Lance. >>

Ah, that makes sense now. Knew it had to be something like that.
    I have existed since the creation of this world and will exist until its end. Only my form will change. For these 80 human life years, I have the benefit of having a functioning body and consciousness. I will not waste this opportunity.
  • Options
    JBNJBN Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now that my collection has two of the newer holders, I note that the bottom of the holder has a code etched in. My two different coins have a different code.

Very smart of PCGS to include this code - what with the bottom of the holder not imaged in auction photos.

I would guess that one could request verification of authenticity via requesting the code - but I hope PCGS holds the code information close to their chests to prevent the codes from being generally available to the public and counterfeiters.

Finally, I note that the very top portion of the insert seems to have a plasticized finish, which should also represent an hindrance to counterfeiters.

It is nice that PCGS continues to protect our collections/investments.
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm digging this new, old thread! 🤣 😂 Those new PCGS slabs he's talking, about must be old by now. 🤣 😂

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file