Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Player with the biggest following?

Who are the most collected players in each sport. In baseball,
Cal Ripken Jr. seems to have a large following. I did
not check the Registry for any insight. Just curious.

Comments

• Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    I would guess Mantle for baseball.
    Steve
  • Options
    bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭
    My guess is:
    Baseball - Mantle
    Basketball - Jordan
    Football - Montana
    Hockey - Gretzky
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    FWIW, these are the number of items recently sold on ebay for some selected players:

Jeter - 27K
    Ripken - 16K
    Ruth - 12K
    Mantle - 20K
    Trout - 18K
    Rose - 11K
    Ryan - 15K

Obviously the era that the player played in has a lot to do with these numbers.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    I'll go with MANTLE. I'd guess that the reason there are more Jeter cards sold is because they are a lot cheaper.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mantle
    Mantle
    Mantle
    Mantle
    Jordan
    Mantle
    Mantle
    Ruth
    Trout
    Mantle

An interesting question would be if Mantle never played what would the card market look like today value wise?
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of course Nolan Ryan is extremely popular. His card values compared to some of his fellow players like Seaver, Palmer, Carlton can be astronomical.
    1975 topps in psa 9 for example. A Ryan would probably cost a minimum of 2k , a Palmer, which is a tougher card in 9 because of snow issues, maybe $300.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Who are the most collected players in each sport. In baseball,
    Cal Ripken Jr. seems to have a large following. I did
    not check the Registry for any insight. Just curious. >>

Definitely Mantle or Ruth - Cal's not even in the discussion, no disrespect.
  • Options
    It depends on what your asking.... Someone like Ripken or jeter have far more graded items from psa then mantle or ruth. Simply because there is so much more out there. A lot of people collect mantle, but not everyone can afford mantle cards.

I wish there was a way to search how many items of a certain player have been graded(total in all), if there is I don't know how.
    Several years ago I remember psa made a statement that Cal Ripken was the most graded player at that point. Not sure how it has changed since then.
  • Options
    pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭
    If I knew how to do it, I would look at how many different people have registries for the above named players. I would think that would tell you who is the most collected.
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Several years ago I remember psa made a statement that Cal Ripken was the most graded player at that point. Not sure how it has changed since then. >>

That number has grown by three since I dropped off a few items at the PSA booth at the Philly Show this afternoon

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    jmbjmb Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If I knew how to do it, I would look at how many different people have registries for the above named players. I would think that would tell you who is the most collected. >>

Mantle Basic Set 194
    Clemente Basic Set 161
  • Options
    psychumppsychump Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭
    Christian Ronaldo has the biggest following with 83.4 million Facebook fans as of last week. image
    Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'