Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Some crazy prices out there - new listing for 1956 Mantle

Checking Ebay this am while I was working and ran across this listing on Ebay. Granted this is a hot card and seeing very few out there these days, but this one along with the 1957 for sale are pretty over the top price price wise.

Comments

• DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mantle asks have always been very aggressive, and I am certainly no stranger to paying a healthy, handsome premium for a nice, worthy card-- but I have to say I am seeing (in my own personal opinion) bald-faced greed from a lot of sellers in the past few months on Mantles. It's nothing new, as it's common for Registry guys to get gouged by sellers when a card is one the seller knows they need. And it's also true and fair that robust auction results are a factual and logical springboard for a seller to price a similar card aggressively. But there are degrees of aggressive pricing. Of course, it's anyone's right to ask whatever they want. Especially when an item is very thinly traded, with minimal pricing history, or if someone wants to get some eyeballs on a listing, or to try an "anchor"-- as the case may very well be with the listing here. But end of the day, 12k ask for a 56 Mick that looks like that...yikes. That card is no freak anomaly of eye appeal, color, or dead centering, which are the usual factors that can lead to a premium ask. It's also a pretty large premium ask, again assuming it's the real price the seller wants and there's little room.

Instagram: mattyc_collection