Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

UPDATE (with concerns) Wish me luck - shooting for the moon with this crackout submission

2»

Comments

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Littletweed

Originally posted by: grote15

The 75 mini Fingers card is trimmed. That color combo does not come out of the pack undersized.

I don't think it was trimmed. I picked up about 100 of the Fingers, and I believe they were from vending or direct from Topps. I still have some that are slightly shorter, but not as bad as the one previously shown.

There were no vending boxes or cases produced by Topps for 75 minis. However, as Nick alluded to, there is compelling evidence that they produced non-retail "cut card cases" of certain sheets which are noticeable in that they are just slightly shorter than retail sized 75 minis. It is not known why or for what purpose those cards were printed.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • LittletweedLittletweed Posts: 623 ✭✭✭
    The 75 mini Fingers card is trimmed. That color combo does not come out of the pack undersized.

I don't think it was trimmed. I picked up about 100 of the Fingers, and I believe they were from vending or direct from Topps. I still have some that are slightly shorter, but not as bad as the one previously shown.

There were no vending boxes or cases produced by Topps for 75 minis. However, as Nick alluded to, there is compelling evidence that they produced non-retail "cut card cases" of certain sheets which are noticeable in that they are just slightly shorter than retail sized 75 minis. It is not known why or for what purpose those cards were printed.

Gotcha, that makes sense. The ones I purchased were consigned from Renata Galasso, maybe she had a deal with Topps for getting these cards via "cut card cases?"

Matt

• Indy78Indy78 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Indy78
    Tim: Look at the left ledge of that Fingers Mini. It shows evidence of being a "cut card case" Mini (i.e., it has a similar cut to that of 1976 Topps Baseball cards that come from a cut card case). The Fingers Mini of this type is quite often found on eBay.

That Fingers seems shorter than even a card from a cut card case, though. Possibly a trimmed cut case card?

I can't tell for sure from just a scan. One problem is that inner black insert is sized incorrectly for the card. In any event, the Height/Width proportion for a typical pack-pulled Mini is 1.4. Measuring pixels on my screen, I get 1.38 for that card, so it's slightly short. If I had to make a best guess solely looking at that scan, I would say its legit (i.e., all the edges look "correct" to me for a cut card case Mini). But again, I don't know for sure.

Gotcha, that makes sense. The ones I purchased were consigned from Renata Galasso, maybe she had a deal with Topps for getting these cards via "cut card cases?"

Ah, that's new piece to the cut card case Mini puzzle, at least to me. In the Mini thread, we've been trying to figure out where these cut card case Mini's came from. I hadn't previously heard the Galasso connection. Thanks for that info!
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,663 ✭✭✭✭✭

That would be an interesting connection to establish a link between these non-retail cut case cards and how they were distributed.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

Did you pick up any other player lots of Mini's from Galasso? If so, which ones?
  • SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    I emailed PSA regarding the vouchers in place of the "min size" a week ago and haven't heard a word. Is there an email address I should use other than the one in their CONTACT PSA page (info@PSACARD)?

"Molon Labe"

• packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: SidePocket
    I emailed PSA regarding the vouchers in place of the "min size" a week ago and haven't heard a word. Is there an email address I should use other than the one in their CONTACT PSA page (info@PSACARD)?

just give them a call and they will tell you what I posted back on page 2.

I have had limited success of getting a response in less than a week to the general info mailbox

• Phone > email
  • heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    Wow looks like you got it in the shorts on some of those grades.
    Well, I re-resubbed the 4 cards that came back MINSIZERQ on the initial resub. Yes, this time they all graded. Results are below. Seems ridiculous (and also expensive) to be so inconsistent with the arbitrary use of MINSIZERQ in their grading. On a side note the 61 Aaron and the 65 Mays are gorgeous cards; how the Mays is a 5 I'll never know. But no more resubbing for me!

imageimageimage

imageimageimage

imageimageimage

imageimageimage

"Molon Labe"

• bobmoatbobmoat Posts: 257 ✭✭
    MINSIZE is free, so not sure what you mean by expensive. Shipping?
    Yep, shipping and insurance.

"Molon Labe"

• bobmoatbobmoat Posts: 257 ✭✭
    Cost of doing business when you choose to crack out all of your cards hahaha
  • CakesCakes Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: bobmoat
    Cost of doing business when you choose to crack out all of your cards hahaha

I agree, I have got used to it. Your strategy was sound to wait months and then resubmit.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • AlbertdiditAlbertdidit Posts: 560 ✭✭✭
    Looks like you have the nicest 65 Mays 5 in existence
  • lseeconlseecon Posts: 318 ✭✭
    really demonstrates how truly crazy, random and subjective grading is. Think about the price difference between a PSA 5 and a PSA 7 in many rookie HOF cards and whether one is a 7 or a 5 is oftentimes just a random occurrence as this thread demonstrates. Same with difference between a 6 and 7. Would be fun to take that Mays and submit it again and again and again and see how many different grades it ends up with each time. 5 one time, then 5.5, then 6, 6.5, 7, maybe on a good day 7.5
  • ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: lseecon
    really demonstrates how truly crazy, random and subjective grading is. Think about the price difference between a PSA 5 and a PSA 7 in many rookie HOF cards and whether one is a 7 or a 5 is oftentimes just a random occurrence as this thread demonstrates. Same with difference between a 6 and 7. Would be fun to take that Mays and submit it again and again and again and see how many different grades it ends up with each time. 5 one time, then 5.5, then 6, 6.5, 7, maybe on a good day 7.5

I agree. You're talking about potentially thousands of dollars worth of cards being graded or not graded depending on the day or the grader. There's no perfect system and 100% consistency is not expected, but to have that many cards be graded one way, then be returned, then be graded a different grade on the 3rd try is concerning...
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't the bump in the Clemente RC offset the drops in a few of those cards Mark?
    Mike
  • AlbertdiditAlbertdidit Posts: 560 ✭✭✭
    Im sure it would offset it if it happened to be a RC but its not
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Albertdidit

Im sure it would offset it if it happened to be a RC but its not

Thanx, that was a real brain drainer.

Mike
    Hi Mike, the Clemente bump was nice but I'm just struggling with the whole grading thing right now and it's inconsistency. Maybe time to just go raw!

"Molon Labe"

• mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only objective aspects of grading is centering and card size...these can be measured.

Appeal itself is in the eye of the beholder and therefore subjective. Appeal is impacted by the boldness of the coloration, print quality (or lack of print defects such as print lines...print fish eyes...print dots...extraneous print...etc), registration impacting the sharpness of the image, particles in the card stock resulting in raised bumps on the surface of the card as well as toning affecting the brightness of the colors...and finally sharpness of the corners. These grading points are subjective and therefore can vary from grader to grader as far as how many points to deduct/penalize for factors affecting the eye appeal of a card.

Understandably then....a grade can vary possibly by as much as +/- 1 point from an assigned grade. For certain...+/- 1/2 point. I think overall PSA does an outstanding job in grading...it's not a science.
    mint_only_pls