Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

1839 British proof set hammers at...

GBP 420K. Plus another 20% BP. Pretty sure that's a new record. image

Baldwin's Auction
Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Comments

• brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the GBP challenged, that's $640,000 hammer, and $770,000 with the juice.

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, a beautiful set to be sure. I have seen undergraded indivdual coins that did rival some in the set but overall an incredible set. The Una piece is far above any I have seen.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    That was certainly a wonderful set!
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Remarkable set and price.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Given that the estimate was 95,000 GBP - 120,000 GBP, yeah I'd say it exceeded expectations. Either that or the estimate was artificially low... I've seen certain auction houses take that approach in an attempt to provoke more interest; people thinking a "deal" is possible.
  • harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bid on four lots from that auction. Maybe I won this one? image
    When and how will I find out if I was successful, if you know?
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    amazing

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    I'd like to think I will retire in such style when the time comes to sell my collection, but as of yet most of my retirement savings will be from another stream. That is quite a cash-out. Took the whole set to do it, but what a lovely set.

I just returned from London, Paris, and Reykjavík. The architecture of Paris was my favorite over London, but I thought Westminster Abbey was more beautiful and fascinating *on the inside* than Notre Dame. Anyway ... the point of this digression ... puts my assortment of British coins in a whole new perspective. Then to log on and find this thread at the top image

The mint exhibit at the Tower of London was very cool IMHO. Much larger of an exhibit than the Smithsonian in D.C. currently shows, and with some very creative interactive features. Photos of some coins coming soon. Literally just got back Tuesday night in time for Yom Kippur so not much unpacking has been done.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• I thought it was actually good value at the price. And no, I didn't buy it!
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can think of worse things to spend $770K on, I guess. That's a truly monumental set.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    I have not seen any Una pieces in person that I can recall. I do love that design like everybody does though and it breaks my heart a little every time I see an auction result like this because it just confirms that it is not to be.

I really love that sovereign as well though. The toning is really spectacular. That seems a bit more doable as well. image
  • brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Shilling and Sixpence stand out among the group to my eye.

The whole set is amazing, but that sixpence is graded PF68*Ultra Cameo image

And the shilling is graded PF67*Cameo image

Truly stupendous!
    -Brandon
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These are great coins, but a couple do have equals - see the DCAM 63 Halfcrown on the PCGS pop site - I have seen that coin and it is UNDERGRADED hugely & has that aluminium foil appearance. I seem to recall such a groat (ungraded) as well. To me the big gold and crown are tremendous in having survived so well.

Still, not to be a hater as those are truly great coins.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That set is pretty darn neato/cool

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • NapNap Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neat set and nice to see it was sold intact (shame about the TPG holders though)
  • HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    Amazing set. That Una is a knockout.
  • SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    Spink's 50th anniversary edition (2015) lists the set at £125K ,and this is by far and away the finest graded by one or two points in every single denomination, including the UNA. That's without counting the originality of this matching set, apparently initially purchased for 10 sovereigns and 10 shillings. Another very nice set was the 1893 proof set that fetched £58000 + 20%. Great sets.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fantastic coins. If I lived in a $3 million house I might move into a $2 million house in order to have that set. But I don't. And that's OK. I'm glad for those who do.

Best Regards,

George
    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • It's got to be a great feeling going to an auction and knowing that every lot in the
    auction is in play for you to bid on.image

Mikey
    Too bad the coins are slabbed, they would look great in the original case but I understand why they were certified.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Of course the new owner is free to crack them out (or have them professionally removed). But I wouldn't.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful, classic set. The Una and the Lion has gotta be one of the top designs of all time. So much so that, rather than mortgage the house, I broke down and bought one of the bullion trinkets "issued" by Gibraltar in 1989.

<< <i>Too bad the coins are slabbed, they would look great in the original case but I understand why they were certified. >>

+1. Because after 175 years. they couldn't survive any longer without being entombed in plastic. (/sarc of course). More seriously tho one wonders how long this magnificent set will remain together. Are the individual pieces with lofty numbers on the plastic worth more than the set? Certainly could be a powerful temptation if so. Time will tell.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!

<< <i>More seriously tho one wonders how long this magnificent set will remain together. Are the individual pieces with lofty numbers on the plastic worth more than the set? Certainly could be a powerful temptation if so. Time will tell. >>

Hopefully the buyer is mega wealthy and bought the set for its beauty and not as an investment.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
    Or both.

Also, the top grades in practically every denomination, was a major contributor in its realized price IMO, so the plastic here isn't only to protect them from future mishandling. It's the proof that it's (most likely) the best set of its kind.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Darn ,Missed another Lion.

Wow what a set.image
    The results of such auctions, have a tremendous effect on sales of similar items, immediately after the auction. I know of an UNA PCGS PR62 CAM, clearly a hairlined piece, and rather mediocre for such an asking price that sold for slightly less than $200K in a private sale at Coinex. The owner had purchased it a couple of years ago for $75000. For reasons unrelated to the sale, this particular coin was refused by the collector who had ordered it, and now it makes the rounds of famous English coin shops at a ~$125K asking price. After trying to get as greedy as they could and it backfired, they are now trying to cut their losses.

But this coin was less than mediocre. A true high grade UNA is definitely much more expensive now, than before the Baldwin's auction and Coinex.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>For the GBP challenged, that's $640,000 hammer, and $770,000 with the juice.

image >>

omg, the juice, OUCH.