Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Scarce Reverse Vitellius

I already had a Vitellius I was happy with but this one surfaced as a one time deal so I parted with my other and put it toward this one which cost a bit more but worth it. I liked the portrait filling up the flan more then my old & it's a better reverse type.

Vitellius (69 A.D.)
AR Denarius
O: Laureate head right.
R: S P Q R / OB / C S in three lines within wreath.
Rome Mint, 69 A.D.
3g
18.5mm
RIC I 83; RSC 86.

Updated Tray:

Comments

• Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Nice 12 Caesars set with several interesting, out of the ordinary, types. I like this approach much more than just the 12 "generic" denarii. Congrats!

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An impressively realistic portrait as well - the wrinkles are a great aesthetic attribute. Nice upgrade!
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome. That's a well worn coin with just the right look. I like the toning a lot.

And you've gotta love those short-lived civil war emperors. 69 AD was a very interesting year.

So you did it... all Twelve Caesars! image

When did you sneak that Otho in on us? Was it during one of my Yeti disappearances, or did you already show it to me and it went out of my memory?

I think your virtual tray has every bit the appeal that my old set had, and was no doubt done with a lot less money and without wasting any on pricey slabs or a fancypants wooden slab box.

Looks nice on the black background.

You did it the old school way, and that's cool.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Great work, Mat! Nice Vitellius and great 12 Caesars! All interesting types and all great overall coins. I am also a fan and follower of your approach to the set, using Provincials as well as Empire issues. It makes for a more interesting and affordable set in my opinion. I am a big fan of all but in particular the Claudius and Galba. (You have me very hooked on the tets, but finding them as nice as yours is challenging.)
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed. I think a mixed Imperial and Provincial set can be far more interesting from an aesthetic standpoint, and is also a smart, budget-friendly strategy.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.