Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Can anyone please Identify?

Hello,
I am at a loss on this one.
am not sure, but perhaps the language is latin?
Help please, if anyone can
thank you all

Today is the first day of the rest of my life

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, Latin.

On the first side shown you've got

S PATER BENEDICTE INTERCEDE PRO NOBIS,

Which is something like, "Intercede for us, Holy Father Saint Benedict".

If it's indeed aluminum, then it's probably 20th century, though perhaps from the early 20th century.

A Catholic medallion of some kind, maybe? I like the medieval appearance, which is sort of enhanced by the obvious wear on it.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    St Benedict medals are ubiquitous in the Roman Catholic community. Googling the term will provide a comprehensive description.

imageimage
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thank you fellows, so NO coin...
    can not win them all..
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still a cool looking piece, and old, albeit not as old as it appears at first glance.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    PAX means peace (shown on the reverse, top, upside down in this photo). You probably knew that already, though ... (from the common phrase "Pax Romana"?)

I studied Latin in school. My trouble is trying to make out the letters in these old worn fonts. If you can write out the letters and words, I can try to recall my Latin schooling and get you a definition. Rob seems to be doing a good job of the obverse. image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, I do not have any idea about latin or what this item represents.
    I thank you all for your efforts.
    will either offer it to members in our coin club here in Nanaimo, or put it on the Bay to see where it goes.
    If anyone is interested??? let me know.
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    This is a privately made, religious medal for St Benedict. It appears to have had a loop at the top which was subsequently broken off. I'm not sure that this specific style is still in production, but Benedict medals are easily found on line, in Catholic supply stores, etc and there is a wide variety of styles. My guess is that it's fairly recent, after the mid 20th century. The wear is consistent with it being worn for some time before being broken. Wikipedia has a nice description of the medal, its use, the meaning of its legends, etc: Benedict Medal. If you just search Benedict medal you will find many vendors selling a variety of types of these in all metals and many styles.

edited to add: fixed the link

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!