Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Anti-slavery token - Please Help

Hi - sorry if this is not the correct forum - please tell me if not. Early apologies for the long rambling post.

I've recently bought an anti-slavery token that I am trying to get some information about.

It is a uniface halfpenny with the obverse having a kneeling slave surrounded by 'AM I NOT A MAN AND A BROTHER' and the edge 'PAYABLE IN DUBLIN OR AT BALLYMURTAGH' (although there is a little damage in the middle of Ballymurtagh and the rim is too narrow for the full height of the letters).

It's vital stats are :
Diam - 29mm
Rim thickness - 2mm
Weight - 8.0g
Composition - appears to be copper

I've rummaged around the internet & found quite a few that have clasped hands on the reverse but not a mention of a uniface.

Here are a couple of scans (my camera won't do macros) & a pic of the edge from the previous owner. The scans have had the contrast etc adjusted to give better detail but the colour is not accurate.
(BTW my rambling continues after the pics)

I have also posted on another forum & Conder101 was kind enough to reply with "I'm not aware of a uniface example of this piece and the picture isn't enough for me to tell if it is a die trial or an altered piece. The edge inscription tell me this should be a Middlesex 1038. It is the only piece using that die that comes with that edge."

It seems the only way to have this validated is for it to be sent to someone who really knows the series - this is fair enough but unfortunately I live in Australia & the only experts named so far reside in the US.

Having had some bad experiences with lost items (I read somewhere that even Fedex have a 0.5% to 1% loss rate) I am reluctant to send what could be the jewel of my collection into a black hole.

Is there anyone in Australia that would have the experience/knowledge to authenticate (or not) this token?

Anyone have an opinion? I would love to hear it.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Comments

• SapyxSapyx Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My assumption - assumption, without actual knowledge - would be that it's an ordinary token that has had one side ground down flat, perhaps in preparation for engraving something else there. Or maybe simply to make a token for a shove-ha'penny game.

I think Jim Noble would be the go-to person for knowledge on tokens in Australia. Or if he didn't know, he'd know someone who would.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • If it is legitimate it is a very rare piece. It has been mentioned here for some more info.
  • coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If real it appears you did well. From my screen here everything looks correct.
    You need to have one of the large dealer guys look at it and verify.

I also think that one or both might be going out of town very soon as they go to the UK every year around this time to search for little goodies for people like us to purchase image

Good luck and hope its a home run for you!

Jerry Bobbe
    P.O. Box 25817
    Portland, OR 97298-0817
    United States of America
    Phone #: 503-626-1075
    Fax: 503-350-2320
    E-Mail: jbobbe@comcast.net

Or

Gary Groll

P O Box 717

Corvallis, OR 97339

info@garygroll.com

• HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    Very cool. How can you tell the 1838 Low-54A versions from the standard ones?
  • coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
    btw, I'm not sure if I would call this the "holy grail" as there are a few different tokens in the Conder series that are die trials.

But the one I linked to was probably one of the few that Americans know off.....unless they shop in Britain.

• Thank you all for your information.

I was going to reply to you each individually but it seems I can only reply to the thread & not each post.

So :-

Sapyx - Thanks for pointing me to Jim Noble - he's in Sydney so that is a heck of a lot closer than the US.
    DeliaBug - I'd seen that post but didn't think it related to this - I had no idea what a Low-54A was & didn't chase it up - I think it's becoming obvious I'm a total novice at this.
    coinsarefun - I've made contact with Gary Groll & will be sending him the pics etc for his opinion but can't expect anything firm until it physically gets into the hands of someone that knows.
    Hussulo - I have no idea - I've had a little rummage for Lyman H. Low's Hard Times Tokens but haven't been able to find a freebie as yet.

Again, thank you all for your thoughts & information.

When I get this validated (or not) I'll post the result back here.
  • Well, that didn't take long!

Gary Groll was kind enough to have a look at some pics (I took some new ones) & get back to me very quickly.

He pointed out two problems :
    - weight - this comes in at 8.0g - it is rare to be under 9g & he has never recorded one as low as 8g.
    - rim - the inscription is much closer to the blank surface.

These could indicate a some post-strike human intervention - I'm going for 'would'. You picked it in one Sapyx.

So, thanks for all your help guys but it looks like my little token is a bit dodgy.
  • TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Well, that didn't take long!

Gary Groll was kind enough to have a look at some pics (I took some new ones) & get back to me very quickly.

He pointed out two problems :
    - weight - this comes in at 8.0g - it is rare to be under 9g & he has never recorded one as low as 8g.
    - rim - the inscription is much closer to the blank surface.

These could indicate a some post-strike human intervention - I'm going for 'would'. You picked it in one Sapyx.

So, thanks for all your help guys but it looks like my little token is a bit dodgy. >>

Now that is a shame as I thought you had something there.

Tom

• Yes - it's a pity but as Gary Groll said it is interesting & it may have a story.

I'm not sure what I'll do now - probably inject it into my 'Interesting Bits & Pieces' collection.