Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Did the US Mint ever make patterns for another country?

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 14, 2017 4:23PM in U.S. Coin Forum
Given that the US Mint has made many patterns and has also minted coins for other countries, has the US Mint made patterns for other countries?

Here's one that the UK Mint made for Israel. I like the Britannia Moneta slogan.

imageimage
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There were a few patterns made for South American countries in the 19th century.

As to that British piece, I don't think it was made for Israel. They used that star on some British West African coinage.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Not a pattern, but they minted these for the 2000 commemorative set sold in the US

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Up until the very early 1980s the mint struck coins for many Latin American countries, Australia, Dutch East Indies etc. I think the first coins struck were for Venezuela back in the 1870s. So patterns must exist.

As for the Royal Mint pattern above, it was struck as a British pattern - as noted above the Star of David was used on British West African coinage during that era.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file