Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1643-44 Ormonde Shilling-Ireland S-6546

I purchased this Ormonde shilling recently because the condition and toning are tough to come by. And while it is unevenly struck, it is one of my current favorites. What do you think?

Tom

Comments

• Options
    stashstash Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭
    I love it, beautiful coin . Could only imagine what it was like in those days ...
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Love it. That is an excellent example.
  • Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the look. Although others may not, I find the crudeness to be charming. This is a unique piece of art, not another exists just like it.
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting item from the English Civil War in Ireland.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The toning is great. What's the technical grade?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Interesting item from the English Civil War in Ireland.

image >>

It was just a Civil War all over the British Isles, with a good mix of politics, religion and regional factionalism. What was going on in England itself is well reported, but the same things were going on in Scotland and Ireland. Kings vs Parliament, Catholics vs. Protestant etc. It was just one big mess every which way and it really was not completely sorted out until 1745 and the Battle of Culloden.

All that aside, very nice piece of numismatic treasure from that restive period.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The toning is great. What's the technical grade? >>

Not sure why I had this graded...maybe it was to see how they grade these pieces. It is in a 58 holder, which I agree with. Then again, I probably would have agreed with anything between 50 and 62. Technically, it may be "uncirculated" with a bit of cabinet friction, but who knows.

Tom

• Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Interesting item from the English Civil War in Ireland.

image >>

It was just a Civil War all over the British Isles, with a good mix of politics, religion and regional factionalism. What was going on in England itself is well reported, but the same things were going on in Scotland and Ireland. Kings vs Parliament, Catholics vs. Protestant etc. It was just one big mess every which way and it really was not completely sorted out until 1745 and the Battle of Culloden.

All that aside, very nice piece of numismatic treasure from that restive period. >>

Because I am of Irish heritage, my family having moved from Wales to the west coast of Ireland in the 18th century, later converting to Catholicism, I am fascinated by the history. Does anyone know of a good book on the history of Ireland during this period---17th century...or even earlier? I did not know about the Battle of Culloden. Thanks for mentioning as I'll look it up.

I also have a nice Cromwell Halfcrown, which I have posted before, but post herein again below. I post this because Cromwell had an interesting history in Ireland and was very successful (from the British perspective) against the Irish.

There was an interesting auction of Irish coins in London this week, by DNW, and I managed to pick up a few pieces, but I also missed out on a few more. Here is the Cromwell Halfcrown.

Tom

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭