Home Precious Metals
Options

Will threat of government shutdown push dollar down, PM's up?

CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
Without getting into the politics of the situation, will the mere threat of a government shutdown at the end of September negatively affect the dollar to the benefit of PM's?

Obviously this is all opinion and speculation, so both are welcome.
Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Without getting into the politics of the situation, will the mere threat of a government shutdown at the end of September negatively affect the dollar to the benefit of PM's?

Obviously this is all opinion and speculation, so both are welcome. >>

Bad news usually benefits PM's but these so called government shutdowns have become so frequent that I don't think most people take them seriously.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Silver down about $20.00 per roll on eBay this morning.

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Silver down about $20.00 per roll on eBay this morning.

image >>

Rolls of what? ASE's?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Referencing 4 year old threads like they have a smidgence of relative content? Really?
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    See what happens when we spend too much money fighting the Langbords and our own.
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think PMS are down for the count, Just a gut feeling, do not know why...
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    As long as oil is connected to PM's that will keep it low.
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Referencing 4 year old threads like they have a smidgence of relative content? Really? >>

Was this very same question not asked 4 years ago?

Perhaps relative has a different meaning in the "hood"?
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no threat of a government shutdown. There isn't even a ghost of a chance of a threat.

Even if there was a shutdown, they would all still manage to get paid, and probably get paid extra for all the "duress".

I can't think of a government agency or department that's even been slowed down in the past 25 years. Maybe it's just my memory, or lack thereof.

Oh, except for keeping veterans away from their war memorials, which probably didn't save 30 seconds of interest on the debt.

That being the case, I'd say that PMs won't react to the threat of a government shutdown. A non-starter.

OTOH,

If actual essential functions of the govt shut down for at least 3 days (not just the "non-essential" staff), then we'd have something to speculate about.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    something else may do it but it won't be this

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting that the debt crisis last time around was one of the major movers in gold from April-September 2011. The week after the last thread was posted gold broke out and headed to $1479....and the run to $1923 was on. Silver went parabolic in those last few weeks of April and was done. So based on last time's results, I'd say a debt ceiling debacle can't hurt any. Gold likes stress, uncertainty, and debt issues. Numerous markets are at major cross roads. Maybe debt limit "negotiations" will be one of the factors to swing the markets to force a direction.

At some point in time I would expect our politicians to pass an automatic debt extension bill to prevent all future occurrences.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Referencing 4 year old threads like they have a smidgence of relative content? Really? >>

Was this very same question not asked 4 years ago?

Perhaps relative has a different meaning in the "hood"? >>

It's the people who suffer with these shutdowns, as I recall. Weren't there non essential functions of government which got shut down ?
    Like you can't go to the National Parks, or such. The last time this was "a threat" to us, politicians found a way to punish the masses, not themselves.
    Not that it hurt me; not going to a national park. A place that mostly benefits foreign tourists, more than our own people The Native Americans.
    I live in the international brotherhood,.. at the street level of humanity. And we will always have the poor.
    But now we get into philosophical thoughts, not necessarily economic.

So long as the majority stays dumbed down, this system is working fine.