Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

How good is Intercept Shields!

Looking to put my coins in a safe container! Couple of persons has told me that Intercept is the best as they keep your coins from toning! What do you think?image
Am always looking to buy any American Eagle Silver proof PCGS PR70DCAM

Comments

• Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    Apparently it works pretty well. Nasa uses it, and I think several electronic companies use it also. I have some intercept boxes for slabbed coins, and 2x2s for raw pennies. I really haven't used it long enough to give a valid testamonial however. Mark
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is plenty of information on the Intercept Shield web site, however, I think some of their testing methods aren't reflective of reality. My own opinion is that they are quite good for inhibiting toning.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    ToneloverTonelover Posts: 1,554
    Is toning within the slab really that big of a problem. I wish some of my coins would continue to tone but they haven't budged. image Most people don't realize it but the main reason a silver coin will change colors once slabbed it because it was chemically enhanced at one time, the residue wasn't rinsed properly and is still reactive. Not because of the holder.
  • Options
    BowAxeBowAxe Posts: 143 ✭✭
    Susan Maltby, who writes the "Preserving Collectibles" column in Coin World, has written favorably about the Intercept Shield products in some of her columns recently. I bought a bulk roll of the company's older product, called "Corrosion Intercept", to line my safety deposit box and other storage boxes with. I had noticed that some of my slabbed silver and gold coins had toned while in the bank vault. I only lined the safety deposit box a short time ago, so I don't know yet if it will have any effect.

Regarding Tonelover's comments, toning in the slab really is a concern in some cases. I have a 1946 dime in an NGC slab that was brilliant white when I bought it a few years ago, and it has developed an amazing bright violet-orange color just sitting in a plastic storage box here in my home. None of the other coins in the same box for the same period of time or longer have changed at all. Obviously, as Tonelover says, that dime must have had some material on its surface that it has continued reacting with. In such cases, it seems doubtful that Intercept Shield or any other material would be capable of arresting the process.

• Options
    ToneloverTonelover Posts: 1,554
    I too have a NGC Mercury Dime which has turned a very vibrant violet-red. I know the look you're talking about. It's a pretty old holder and they may have had some strong vapors or something. It's certainly not natural. Does yours look like this?

I have seen other Mercury Dimes just like it so I won't argue that some older NGC slabs have problems. But as far as new holders causing such an effect I have my doubts.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I've seen your dime in person Jon and it was terrific. Do you remember this 1950-D Roosevelt in an old NGC MS67 holder? The scanning conditions are a little different, the coins are very similar. I would love to find more coins like these.image
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    BowAxeBowAxe Posts: 143 ✭✭
    Yes, my 1946 is similar to that, but a little more orange. I'm sorry, I have never gotten around to getting a scanner or learning how to put photos on the web, so I can't show you a picture.

Ordinarily I prefer untoned coins, but I plan to keep my dime. I'm curious to see if it will undergo any further metamorphosis. Besides, I have to admit, it's very pretty!