Home Precious Metals
Options

3 oz Engelhard with $1052 hammer

and 7 of the bidders were over $600!

Nice to be collecting something precious metal that is actually rising in value.
To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw that on eBay. Is this the rarest size Engelhard bar? Sorry to see that you were outbid.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭
    Wow just saw that, some one got hornswoggled, lol...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Watch out, POM. You're being baited by a master baiter. imageimage

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    POM, to my mind that was too high a price for what that the buyer is receiving.

The type itself is fairly common. Only the serial number is out of the ordinary. I like serial number oddities but the premium paid here for that bit of oddity looks excessive.
  • Options

<< <i>POM, to my mind that was too high a price for what that the buyer is receiving.

The type itself is fairly common. Only the serial number is out of the ordinary. I like serial number oddities but the premium paid here for that bit of oddity looks excessive. >>

Lol, yep like 752+ to be exact... Lol...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    POM, to my mind that was too high a price for what that the buyer is receiving.

The type itself is fairly common. Only the serial number is out of the ordinary. I like serial number oddities but the premium paid here for that bit of oddity looks excessive

I completely agree, I encountered it already at $399 I believe and made a private offer. Got an offer back but hesitated. By the time I made up my mind to accept the offer, it was then above that offer amount and I was unwilling to go any more, so I didn't bother bidding. I think the winning bid is eating at least $450 and hoping for the best. Just my opinion.
  • Options
    ??? That bars is worth 180 bucks in its heyday 300-325, never a 3 over 1k, buyer is buried forever, unless another fiasco for buyers is aligned by the eBay gods...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,211 ✭✭✭✭✭
    shill bidder in play

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    ??? That bars is worth 180 bucks in its heyday 300-325, never a 3 over 1k, buyer is buried forever, unless another fiasco for buyers is aligned by the eBay gods...

I have to disagree with your implied estimated current value. AE has it with an est. mintage of <50. It is a radar bar, some people are willing to pay more for those kind. It's easily a $600 bar, but not much more than that.

Not sure what you mean by the fiasco comment?
  • Options
    Just an FYI , that is not a radar bar...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's worth about $47. image
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options

<< <i>It's worth about $47. image >>

It's true, it's true....
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    ok, repeating bar image
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These old things? I sold these suckers a few years back for nowhere near $1k each. image
  • Options
    NVUNVU Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    The 2oz sold for 5K a few months ago
    Two of the 10oz MFR sold for $1500+ last month
    Are these bars overpriced or fair market value?

To me this bar is a bargain compared to those mentioned above and plenty of bidders willing to bid above $700+ level. I know the new owner won't loose sleep over for what he paid for.
  • Options
    Nice bars Meltdown, but it's not apples to apples. Sometimes people just hear the 3 oz part, but they need to go to allengelhard.com to learn what the differences are within every bar weight and then they'll have a better understanding why a bar like this went for >$1k.

To me this bar is a bargain compared to those mentioned above and plenty of bidders willing to bid above $700+ level. I know the new owner won't loose sleep over for what he paid for

Agreed on the plenty of bidders >$700, the market for these "better" Engelhards remains strong, but I am also torn with the last part of your comment because I always have to ask myself what does recklessly overspending (on anything) prove?
    I obviously don't set the market, but I and another avid collector of these have stated in this thread that the bar was grossly overpaid for. It's really a $600-700 bar at this point in time. If the buyer feels comfortable with paying 30-35% more, I'm just glad he doesn't get to spend my money.
  • Options

<< <i>The 2oz sold for 5K a few months ago

To me this bar is a bargain compared to those mentioned above and plenty of bidders willing to bid above $700+ level. I know the new owner won't loose sleep over for what he paid for. >>

My two cents.

The 10 oz MFR ingots show up infrequently. I own an example but I cannot recall seeing more than 5 in the last five years That said, it is still a variety of an otherwise common configuration of 10 oz Engelhard. My example was off Apmex and cost much less than $1,500. If offered one now for $1,000 or more I would not be interested. Thus, thumbs down on $1,500 by my reckoning.

The 2 oz silver examples are rare by any yardstick. Three confirmed examples are known. Its value depends on who is collecting Engelhard ingots at any given time and how keen they are to own one of the three. 2 of the 3 are in strong hands. Others may yet appear but so far have not. I consider $5,000 a fair value.

• Options
    OGIM,
    May I ask how often do you see a 4 digits ingot offer in the last 5 years and do you have an example in your collection?

The 2 oz ingot is indeed rare and desirable by any standard but 5K is fair value for this size is tough to swallow. I like to see if this bar ever available on the market again and hold its value. I might be wrong but we never know.

This is how I see value in 4 digits bar.
    Rarest in any sizes from 3oz to 10oz regardless types or varieties based on AE website.
    Perhaps the least frequent available on the market, just a guess
    4oz top logo, same type, same series. The difference in value between 5 digits and 4 digits is around 1K, again based on AE website.
    Could be the toughest variety/type set to put together excluding the 2oz bull horn of course.
  • Options

<< <i>OGIM,
    May I ask how often do you see a 4 digits ingot offer in the last 5 years and do you have an example in your collection?

The 2 oz ingot is indeed rare and desirable by any standard but 5K is fair value for this size is tough to swallow. I like to see if this bar ever available on the market again and hold its value. I might be wrong but we never know.

This is how I see value in 4 digits bar.
    Rarest in any sizes from 3oz to 10oz regardless types or varieties based on AE website.
    Perhaps the least frequent available on the market, just a guess
    4oz top logo, same type, same series. The difference in value between 5 digits and 4 digits is around 1K, again based on AE website.
    Could be the toughest variety/type set to put together excluding the 2oz bull horn of course. >>

I cannot recall how many examples of the 3 oz ingot with 4 digit serial I have seen. Perhaps I have not paid attention as I view them as otherwise common examples with one less digit in the serial number.

Personally I find serial number varieties less interesting than hard to find major design types such as 3 oz and 4 oz ingots with the "bull horn".

Of course, what matters in the long run is what people are willing to pay for one less serial number digit or the inclusion of "MFR".
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like that serial number, but not for a grand! image
  • Options

<< <i>I know the new owner won't loose sleep over for what he paid for. >>

Lol, I know alot of clowns like that, they come a dime a dozen...
    keceph `anah
  • Options

<< <i>??? That bars is worth 180 bucks in its heyday 300-325, never a 3 over 1k, buyer is buried forever, unless another fiasco for buyers is aligned by the eBay gods... >>

You have anything to back up your claim? I'll be happy to pay 20% over your maximum estimate (300-325) if you can get me one.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>??? That bars is worth 180 bucks in its heyday 300-325, never a 3 over 1k, buyer is buried forever, unless another fiasco for buyers is aligned by the eBay gods... >>

You have anything to back up your claim? I'll be happy to pay 20% over your maximum estimate (300-325) if you can get me one. >>

Yea, way over a decade, I only deal with a very very small private clientele, but thanks alot for the offer...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Something wrong with my keyboard. Sorry for multiple posts
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

You have anything to back up your claim? I'll be happy to pay 20% over your maximum estimate (300-325) if you can get me one. >>

Yea, way over a decade, I only deal with a very very small private clientele, but thanks alot for the offer... >>

OK, thanks for your clarification.
    These bars are much more collectable now than way over a decade ago, hence the price. I'll leave it at that...
  • Options
    Lol, yea maybe I should be more specific, but I won't, lol...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Yall better get them things slabbed & CAC'd b4 they get any more costly.

I mean they slabb the pucks ~ so why notimage
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: NVU

To me this bar is a bargain compared to those mentioned above and plenty of bidders willing to bid above $700+ level. I know the new owner won't loose sleep over for what he paid for.

this is why that 3ozer was bought way over market to an unwitting buyer, who will never get near priced paid...

the elusive 4ozer

keceph `anah
  • Options
    Originally posted by: rawteam1

this is why that 3ozer was bought way over market to an unwitting buyer, who will never get near priced paid...

the elusive 4ozer

That was a realistic price for a nice looking 4 ozer.

• Options

the elusive 4ozer

Well, this topic been discussed and done with but somehow it need to be brought back again..LOL...
    While we on the topic, the owner of the 3oz only valued the 4oz a few hundreds over than what he paid for the 3oz. Why do you think this is?
  • Options
    Simply because the buyer of the 3ozer was a newbie who got caught up in a hype job...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    LOL...if you said so

But that doesn't explain why he made the decisions between the 3oz and the 4oz
  • Options
    LOL...if you said so

Who knows why, doesn't really matter as the 4 is the preferred bar and the 1400 tag is a significantly huge drop in price...

keceph `anah
  • Options
    LOL...if you said so

Who knows why, doesn't really matter as the 4 is the preferred bar and the 1400 tag is a significantly huge drop in price...

Just a simple "Supply and Demand" and the market will always determine the price. That's all I am going to say.