Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

History vs Artistry, a decision...

Over the course of the next few months, two impressive coins are coming up for sale. Each would become my most expensive or close to it, and both are near the top of my wantlist. They represent two completely different sides of collecting: History and Artistry.

- The first is one of the most aesthetic ancient coins, a Kimon dekadrachm, and in superb condition, easily ranking among the finest known. It isn't the rarest overall type but there are only a small number of possibly finer coins (and it then comes down to personal preference). It is incredibly hefty and was minted to pay soldiers, so it isn't entirely lacking in historic value, but that's not really its focal point.

- The second is definitely one of the most historic ancient coins: an Athens gold drachm made from the gold that was stripped from a colossal statue of the goddess Athena in the Parthenon, striking it into coins to pay the army. This happened one time earlier in Athenian history as well but all of the coins are exceptionally rare. It's not particularly attractive but it makes up for its looks with its history.

Realistically, I could possibly try to buy both, but I feel like it would be best to go "all in" on one, rather than leave empty handed. Option #3 would be to skip both and look for less expensive alternatives to increase the breadth of my collection. There are a myriad of other quality coins coming up but I've been first trying to acquire coins that are difficult to acquire.

It does prompt the decision of "History vs Artistry". Art, while subjective, is immediately recognizable as aesthetic whereas history always requires an explanation. I've kept my collection fairly balanced at this point between art/history but either of these coins will swing it one way or the other, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I'm not 100% decided either way but do have a gut feeling, although I'm curious as to what the broader forum's opinion is!
Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection

Comments

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A Kimon engraved Decadrachm would be my choice. I actually saw one not too long ago yet from your description this one is exceptional. I am into the art and that would fit right into your collection's breadth and artistic presentation.
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go "all in" on the first coin. If you win, then decide later on the second. If you lose the first, then you definitely can go "all in" on the second.

Good luck.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Value-wise, I would go for the artistic piece. Passing it on should never be a problem.
    However, if you have a passionate feeling about the latter coin's particular history, and buzz off to any future disposition of the coin except maybe to a cultural institution (sort of the way I feel about many of my items), then, there you go.
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    The Kimon would be my first choice, high grade artistry is a hard combination to pass up.
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Any dek is impressive, high style deks are definitely show stoppers and wonders to behold. But I almost always have a bias to historical significance over aesthetics. If its an either-or choice, the Attic coin is the way to go. A piece of gold stripped from the iconic statue of Athena at a specific moment in time. C'mon, pure history in your hand that puts you in direct contact with the event and statue itself. Makes the blood race and mind reel. Doesn't get much better than that.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm more of a rarity/history collector. I don't recommend that for everyone, and I suspect it's not the financially smart way to collect.

One of my goal coins would be a 1/8 stavraton coin of Constantine XI, the last Byzantine emperor, and for whom siege coinage was minted by melting down the silver relics of Hagia Sophia to pay the Italian mercenaries. There was a hoard of about 100 of these found in the 90s (previously there were 3-4 known) but prices have exploded since the sale of that hoard, and even a poor example is worth north of $25,000. The coin itself is one of the most miserable ugly coins you'll ever see, and I want one!

Rare coins and beautiful coins will always have a market. I suspect beautiful coins will weather market swings and changing collector tastes better, and are this the better buy.
  • Options
    PatARPatAR Posts: 347 ✭✭✭
    While I have a great appreciation for both history and artistry, if forced to choose I favor the artistry and beauty of a particular piece over other factors.

Based on your collecting acumen I'm confident you'll end up with a great coin either way.
  • Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm more of a historian ... easier choice image
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    This was an interesting thread. If both were offered in an "either or" scenario, I would probably choose the very unique historical context of the Athens gold drachm. The story associated with the piece outweighs the aesthetics of the other piece in my eyes.

With that said, I think EVP's suggestion to go 'all in' on the first and then decide on the second might be worth consideration.
  • Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    I also agree with EVP's suggestion , both are great coins , the Kimon beats every ancient coin imho in eye appeal.
    found this link:
    gold stater Lachares
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for your feedback, everyone! I've gotten word that the first coin, the Kimon dekadrachm, may have an excessively high reserve on it... so that may end up making the choice for me. I'll post about the outcome when all of the dust settles!
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    I would say go with whatever your gut tells you when are you looking at them.

Option 1 would probably be my choice.
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for your feedback, everyone! I've gotten word that the first coin, the Kimon dekadrachm, may have an excessively high reserve on it... so that may end up making the choice for me. I'll post about the outcome when all of the dust settles! >>

I know I'm of the minority opinion here, but you shouldn't fight Karma! image
    Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would go with the historical piece, unless it is ugly...
    Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    the Dekadrachm by the artist Kimon is the answer in my opinion

your mouth watering website presents the better than museum quality pieces that you have in stunning detail with wonderful to read write ups, I've shared the website with many people and they are gobsmacked

if the reserve is too high for you on that piece well the second piece sounds like a great prize as well, I was not aware such an animal existed

either way I'll be excited to read your informative post that will follow when you have it all ready to go whichever piece you do end up winning image
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Value-wise, I would go for the artistic piece. Passing it on should never be a problem.
    However, if you have a passionate feeling about the latter coin's particular history, and buzz off to any future disposition of the coin except maybe to a cultural institution (sort of the way I feel about many of my items), then, there you go. >>

+1

Tom

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Kimon would be my first choice, high grade artistry is a hard combination to pass up.

for sure!