Options
1909s VDB, beginning to rise in price?PT. 2
Hi guy's! I'm sorry to come back with this topic again, but for anyone interested in the price value in the PCGS guide. The 1909s VDB once again jumped another $25 in the 12 condition. That's $50 in about 2-3 months time! For me, this excites me. Maybe, It'll rise to the $1000 when I first purchased it? Stand by... Why the sudden two surges? Anybody care to speculate? Thanks.
"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!
--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.0
Comments
I'm happy, I have a 12
BHNC #203
WS
<< <i>Well, you can track the 1909 SVDB, 1914 D and 1922 and find yes, just like the stock market, they go up and down and fall flat in the middle...But there upward progression is incremental in my book. There are way too many of these to honestly matter what the value is. You can either afford one, or not. If they were more affordable, then we would see a heck of lot less of them in every dealer showcase.
WS >>
Yes, your point is well taken and yes, I do realize that this business is like the Market, a gamble. Always up and always down. Still, as you stated, "There are too many of these..." This is what I don't understand. Too many? The mintage is a mere 400,000+! Think of that number. also, this coin has been put through the mill because of it's age. Over 100 years. There are probably 1000's of these destroyed or just buried and lost out there. To think of the ones that have been in one's collections. How many of us collectors have this coin, including dealers. Bottom line; in near time, these will all be gone by the methods I mentioned above. After all, this year (1909) of the Abraham Lincoln cent is the Older brother to all Lincolns up until today! So why this price stays as low as it is?
"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!
--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line."Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!
--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.If I stop thinking about buying one, look out below!
<< <i>The price is going up because I started thinking about buying one.
If I stop thinking about buying one, look out below!
Cool! Then, think about buying 10!
"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!
--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.<< <i>We're a month closer to the year 2109 when the coin will be 200 years old. >>
Thanks for the heads-up, I'm going to start stacking and avoid the rush!
My dad always wanted one, always heard him saying they were like 75 bucks when he was a kid making 5 bucks a week delivering papers. I'm sure that feeding me was the reason he never bought one as a young man. It was a Magic coin to him, and probably to many other, collector or not across the land. My brother and I bought him one in F15 for his retirement gift.
There was an old timer/feller/dealer type dude in my coin club that over the years was Sooo afraid of buying a fake one that he considered all of them fake. You know, the kind of dude that never paid more than MS 65 for anything because the Greysheet only went to 65...too bad if your slab said 67. Anyway, he had stack of "fake" 09 SVDBs he amassed over the years. He says to me one night at a club meeting "you know these, check out these fakes". I look a them and right away I see some good ones. He says that they're no good but if I put up MY money to have them graded he'll sell them to me for half greysheet. The one my brother and I gave my Dad I paid 450 for. I authenticate them all the time for another shop in town. Doesn't matter if I write down the diagnostics, they still want me to look at them. They always give me something for doing that, like junk silver or a hundred off a coin or something. I just love buying these things raw because guys with shops get them cheap and just don't care to tell. To be honest, I've never seen a decent fake or been caught on these yet, but I'm not perfect and need help on other series for sure. Like colonials, though there isn't anyone around here I can get in front.....
The 09 S VDB I went with for my collection has "unique" toning. And a nice AU for my framed raw early date set. Would buy more as I'm never nervous worrying where I'd ever sell one, and I'm betting that today's prices will be better than when my kids grow up and have to shell out 20 years from now for one. He already knows that every house should have ONE.
I've often pondered why the 1916-D Mercury Dime is so valuable. There are many other coins with a lower mintage that have much lower values. The 1916-D just seems to be one of those "must have" coins like the 1909-S VDB. Fewer 1912-S V Nickels were minted than the 1916-D Mercury Dime, yet look on Ebay and there are far more 1916-D Mercury Dimes for sale at much higher prices.
High demand makes a high price and creates more turnover of sales.
<< <i>I think with the 1909-S VDB is that the coin was identified as valuable and rare at the time it was minted. This makes most preserved and not lost through circulation. Also, it's made demand high.
I've often pondered why the 1916-D Mercury Dime is so valuable. There are many other coins with a lower mintage that have much lower values. The 1916-D just seems to be one of those "must have" coins like the 1909-S VDB. Fewer 1912-S V Nickels were minted than the 1916-D Mercury Dime, yet look on Ebay and there are far more 1916-D Mercury Dimes for sale at much higher prices.
High demand makes a high price and creates more turnover of sales. >>
I have not looked but I would bet there are alot more higher grade 09-s vdb's around then 16-d 10c's.
Because of that in vf and above I think the 16-d is actually a semi tough coin
<< <i>I love this coin, doesn't have much respect around here but it's a coin that has been good to me.
My dad always wanted one, always heard him saying they were like 75 bucks when he was a kid making 5 bucks a week delivering papers. I'm sure that feeding me was the reason he never bought one as a young man. It was a Magic coin to him, and probably to many other, collector or not across the land. My brother and I bought him one in F15 for his retirement gift.
There was an old timer/feller/dealer type dude in my coin club that over the years was Sooo afraid of buying a fake one that he considered all of them fake. You know, the kind of dude that never paid more than MS 65 for anything because the Greysheet only went to 65...too bad if your slab said 67. Anyway, he had stack of "fake" 09 SVDBs he amassed over the years. He says to me one night at a club meeting "you know these, check out these fakes". I look a them and right away I see some good ones. He says that they're no good but if I put up MY money to have them graded he'll sell them to me for half greysheet. The one my brother and I gave my Dad I paid 450 for. I authenticate them all the time for another shop in town. Doesn't matter if I write down the diagnostics, they still want me to look at them. They always give me something for doing that, like junk silver or a hundred off a coin or something. I just love buying these things raw because guys with shops get them cheap and just don't care to tell. To be honest, I've never seen a decent fake or been caught on these yet, but I'm not perfect and need help on other series for sure. Like colonials, though there isn't anyone around here I can get in front.....
The 09 S VDB I went with for my collection has "unique" toning. And a nice AU for my framed raw early date set. Would buy more as I'm never nervous worrying where I'd ever sell one, and I'm betting that today's prices will be better than when my kids grow up and have to shell out 20 years from now for one. He already knows that every house should have ONE. >>
Good story! Your Dad certainly wasn't naive. He sounds like he wouldn't let nothing get by him. He was probably hesitant in other matters right? Can you Imagine having a whole roll of these in the past than now, at today's price slab them all? I too love this coin, esp. all it's History, with the coin, ( Victor David Brenner) and Lincoln as our President.
"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!
--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.