Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I'm being severely shilled :D

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
I placed two courtesy bids earlier today on the same sellers items which are in a 3 days auction listed under the wrong category, with poor title info, poor photos, and poor descriptions.

I've now been pushed 8 & 17 exact $2.00 increments on both by what I feel is the seller secondary account.

I'm not upset as if I win it would be like buying them at a price I'd have no issue paying since properly listed they are worth 3-5 times my max bids.

Will be fun to see how this turns out! image

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For what it's worth, I'll occasionally see some new bidder bid up some of my items with lots of bids evenly spaced at small increments. I don't like those guys because I don't want the appearance of having a shill, but I can definitely confirm real bidders to exist with those types of bidding patterns.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    Oh I forgot there's now a $1 or $2 bid increment button... So you think this could be someone legit?

The bidding pattern makes no sense though.
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen anywhere from 10-40 consecutive bids in $1 to $2 increments. It definitely happens.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    Well I won one and a serious bidder came in in the last seconds but still got a MS62 for VF/XF money so it's good.

The other a few serious bidder came in and I was outbid.

Still feel on that one with better everything especially pics the seller left as much as $250 on the table...

Maybe even more if sold at Stacks/Bowers instead of eBay.
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    It's probably legit. There are certainly people out there who do not understand that if you big a much bigger number than the current bid, that it will only "one up" the next highest bid. They could believe they'd be held to their maximum bid even if no one else has bid near that amount.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,848 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good for the seller. Good for you. A mild "you suck", as you can make a quick $250.
  • Options
    TigersFan2TigersFan2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭
    Some people never just place their high bid and instead will just continuously bid the next increment until they're either the high bidder or they've hit their max.
    I love the 3 P's: PB&J, PBR and PCGS.
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe your bidding against your twin with the same idea imageimage

When you start a listing you can type in what you are selling and eBay uses that to find the category and uses it as the default title.

So a new seller could type in coin and use that as a title. If you can find one that's a PCGS MS65 you can do quite well
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen (usually low feedback number) bidders do this on my auctions, and it wasn't me.
    My theory is they want to give other bidders the appearance that the seller is shilling his
    own auction to discourage bidding competition, but it's just a theory. Maybe some people
    just like to hit the increment button 20 times. Who knows? In any case, I've never felt it had
    much of an effect on the final price realized. People who want the item will place their max
    bid and let the chips fall where they may.
  • Options
    thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> People who want the item will place their max
    bid and let the chips fall where they may. >>

image (And usually with 2-5 secs. left in the auction, i.e. by sniping it).
    I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • Options

<< <i>Maybe your bidding against your twin with the same idea imageimage >>

Maybe as I thought it would be a bloodbath and felt sorry for the seller.

I also didn't think I'd be awake to bid in the last few seconds as I was really tired earlier.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on picking one of them up! I normally just place a single max bid in the closing seconds. Most of the time I win but sometimes I don't and that's okay I guess.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    Bid your max and leave it alone.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thats what every shill is hoping for if he can't find more than one bidder.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The bidding pattern makes no sense though. >>

via ebay vs human behavior, perhaps it does. image

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did not think that you could bid on your own items. image
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, lets see this thing already!
    MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I did not think that you could bid on your own items. image >>

As long as you are different accounts on different networks how can they tell it's the same persons? Unless you tell them.

• Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Some people never just place their high bid and instead will just continuously bid the next increment until they're either the high bidder or they've hit their max. >>

These dollar bidders run up the bids at a buck a time to hit the high bidder to get his bid out in open
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still better to snipe. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options

<< <i>Well, lets see this thing already! >>

Hold your horses I should be here by the end of the week.

The sellers pics where so bad I bid based on the NGC Certification Scan which wasn't too hot either but gave me a better idea image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file