Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

90% silver question - Mercury Dimes

I'm helping a friend sort out a ton of coins she inherited. We've separated the dimes between Roosevelts and Mercury. Are the Mercury dimes worth any more than 90% silver value for the common dates from 1934-45 in circulated condition? I'm guessing probably not but wanted to check. Also, are the 1916-1934 Mercury dimes (assuming common dates) worth any premium? Most are pretty circulated. Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Update
Here's what I'm looking though so far. Found some mm Mercs like 1916-s and other teens and some S mints from the 20s.

Comments

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's been my experience that they are not worth more. Check for the key dates of course before you sell them.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check for the keys as was mentioned but also check for the key varieties that would be worth plenty, even in circulated condition: 1919 DDO (motto), 1942/1 and 1942/1-D. Good luck!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Coins have three values:

1) Face value
    2) Intrinsic metal value
    3) Collector premium

Even though it is illegal to melt US coins, prior to 1965 they do contain silver.
    Mercury dimes and pre-1965 Roosevelt dimes have the metal content, so both have the same face and intrinsic values.

For highly circulated coins, there isn't much difference between the two coins. Unless you have a rare date, such as a 1916-D Mercury.

So you might want to search the Mercury dimes for rare dates that have a collectors premium.

Silver Coin Melt Value and Calculator
  • Options
    TigersFan2TigersFan2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭
    If there's a lot of dimes, I wonder if you could find a little more value out of the Roosevelt dimes by making a complete date/mintmark set and selling on Ebay that way. The auction might then attract new collectors in addition to just those looking to buy zombie apocalypse silver.
    I love the 3 P's: PB&J, PBR and PCGS.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Even though it is illegal to melt US coins, prior to 1965 they do contain silver. >>

It's not illegal to melt silver and gold US coins. Supposedly it is illegal to melt nickels and pennies but there are different opinions on the matter.
    Lance.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A straight bag of 90% Mercs (few to no slugs) should/could fetch more than a bag of circ Roosies dimes. It may not be a big premium, but it should be something. If I had the choice I'd go with the Mercs.

Now if you're talking BU Roosies vs. well circ Mercs that's a tougher comparison.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    PRECIOUSMENTALPRECIOUSMENTAL Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    Some stackers prefer the Mercury Dime, for the simple fact that they are much easier to sort out than an Post 1964 Roosevelt Dime.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That looks like fun!

BST those for your friend oilers99
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    wow
    what a haul there
    1919's might be worthy of a second glance as it's a trendy thing to do right now in looking for the newly discovered ddo image
    of course one should look at every 1942 too for the overdate's
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,563 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the benefit of the original poster, who may be new at this, the "1919 ddo" mentioned here is a variety with a doubled die obverse seen only on the motto IN GOD WE TRUST.

The 1942/1 is easy to spot. Be sure to check the 1942-D coins closely. There is an overdate that has the base of a 1 sticking down from the bottom of the 2. It will also show a doubled image on the bottom of the 4. Be advised that many Mercury dimes will show what is called "machine doubling" on the dates and other areas. THis has no added value.

When I was working at Harlan Berk's in Chicago I would sometimes get in solid groups of just Mercury's and try to sell them as such. Occasionally I was able to do so for a slight premium over common junk silver, but not often. Some bullion buyers do not like them because the average circulated Mercury dime has more wear than the average circulated 1946-1964 Roosevelt dime, just because the latter was in circulation for a shorter period of time. The Mercs thus contain less silver.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not to get too specific but don't forget the "Full Bands" on the BU Mercs. One can be worth grading?image Yeah, That is a nice collection.

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a heads up they are paying $2 to $3 dollars over spot right now on 90% just tossing that out there so look around for the best price. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    13x face today on BST easy move on some common stuff.

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No questions go unanswered. Try to put a set together with the best of each year and mintmark . That will ensure the person you're helping (friend) gets a real grasp at what the phrase means : "Each coin stands on it's own merit". It's true that 'most' coins carry no extra value beyond market value (intrinsic/ silver value ) , but for the collectors out there trying to complete a raw set for fun, the coins with a little meat on them offer up that premium (pleasure), for a less than premium price, sometimes (numismatic value can add more value to select pieces, though, this often determined by grade or variety ).
    I know also a bit about sentimental value. The one thing you cannot talk some out of. They (we) have this built in value that we have X amount in it, or grandpa paid X amount for it and whatever reason, we value things higher when we believe they're worth more. … I know that seems ludicrous to some, but I've got a few young fellows who come into the shop with their parents, excited about that very possibility of getting the best for the least amount, in the quest for completion; to fill the need (a hole and a desire to buy silver … maybe all the commercials about silver and gold being a hedge is steering them ), and my job is to stay on course.
    And yet when men want to barter or trade up, they always know the value of what the next grade up is.

Group them into dates and mint marks. Find the worst and the best and try to stack them by grade , with the best at the bottom of the tube and the worst toward the top.

If you finish this project, you will be cured for a few reasons:
    1) hands will be filithy
    2) the tuition will be cheap
    3) there will be a closer study of the coin

And look at the best benefit. You guys get to cherry pick the best of each date and mint mark. Fun project with friends who like to sort coins, and study them, especially if your have a little free time on your hands.

But remember , wash your hands, not the coins.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file