Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Would this option increase or decrease TrueView sales?

ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm sure there will be those who disagree with me, but I think PCGS would be able to increase their volume of TrueView sales if submitters were able to check a box on the submission form to have PCGS release the grades and then allow the submitters 24 or 48 hours to select which coins they would like to have TrueViewed. I know there are several times where I've had a submission with a coin that I think could possibly get a high grade like a PR 68 DCAM, but if it came back as a 67 DCAM it wouldn't warrant the cost of a TrueView, so frequently, I will not choose to have the coin imaged upon submission. However, if the coin does receive the higher grade I will often wish that I had requested the TrueView.

I recognize that it could also go the other way for PCGS and fewer TrueViews could be requested if the submitters overestimate their grades and choose the TrueView imaging. I've certainly had ones that I thought would receive the higher grade and ordered the TrueView only to have it come back at a lower grade which wouldn't have warranted the TrueView.

What are your thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I voted decrease and it would also slow down their processes.
    Think about it, fewer coins grade really high. Most people that think their coin has a shot to
    grade high will take the gamble for the TrueView. So if you did this, more people would
    play the wait and see game, thereby decreasing the number of TrueView photos taken.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    I agree that it would slow down the return of the coins, that's why I think it's important to allow the submitter to choose whether they're willing to wait the extra time to get their submission back.
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had an idea (probably not the only one who has thought of it) that the graders should be looking for (obvious) varieties as well and contacting the submitter if they wanted the variety attributed. Once again, it would slow down the process and went over like a lead balloon.

PCGS should also provide a discount (50%, like ANACS) for properly attributed coins when having the variety attributed. This would cut down time! Another lead balloon idea due to profit decreases.

I figure if the submitter wanted the TrueView they would have opted for it when filling out the form. Although the TrueView option is not available (the last time I looked) for crossover submission. When I contacted customer service about this I was informed to place TrueView requested in the Note/Comments section. I also highlighted it to provide a focal point.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    MonsterCoinzMonsterCoinz Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I voted decrease. If I only TV'd coins that I knew had graded, I would be saving tons of money.

Also, I wish our hosts would TrueView every coin they grade, and the image can be "unlocked" for the fee. That would mean any cert # I own I could buy the TV or any cert # I don't own, I could buy and then its unlocked for everyone.
    www.MonsterCoinz.com | My Toned Showcase

Check out my iPhone app SlabReader!
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>...I wish our hosts would TrueView every coin they grade, and the image can be "unlocked" for the fee. That would mean any cert # I own I could buy the TV or any cert # I don't own, I could buy and then its unlocked for everyone. >>

This is interesting...and very doable too! Although there would be a tremendous backlog for Phil (and company).
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I voted decrease. If I only TV'd coins that I knew had graded, I would be saving tons of money.

Also, I wish our hosts would TrueView every coin they grade, and the image can be "unlocked" for the fee. That would mean any cert # I own I could buy the TV or any cert # I don't own, I could buy and then its unlocked for everyone. >>

So you think they should perform free services. That would drive the cost of a TV to about $200 each.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    EYE APPEAL and other factors increase sales most of all.
    One sure won't find too many errors in the field of photography at CU, either.
    I think TrueView is good for coin lovers everywhere.
    imageimageimageimage

then again, I typically put my money where my mouth is and that's where my foot usually ends up, too. image
    My choice to use the service is made prior to submission, yet getting the grade may, in some instances be a benefit for submitters and the company, as it were.
    It could work, as an "add in" and be a WIN/WIN.

Whatever works best is best. Opting in late may increase sales, and costs.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>EYE APPEAL and other factors increase sales most of all.
    One sure won't find too many errors in the field of photography at CU, either.
    I think TrueView is good for coin lovers everywhere.
    >>

+1

nothing to ad as what needs to be said, has been said. well done forumites.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anything that slows down the process and increases the amount of labor required would be a negative. Labor is expensive and coin photography can be very labor intensive if done on a "I only want it if it made my grade" basis.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    i only wish this was an option
    it can be disappointing to see a trueview wasted on a coin that they didn't like enough to even grade

trueview only if a coin grades should be a no brainer unless otherwise noted
    but we don't live in a perfect world
    never have nor will
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess I just dont understand the issue, if you like the coin and want a pro photo of the coin what difference is the grade thing. The photo is of the coin not the grade, maybe this is an issue for flippers where your cost is the most important thing but as a collector I dont see the problem.
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>i only wish this was an option
    it can be disappointing to see a trueview wasted on a coin that they didn't like enough to even grade

trueview only if a coin grades should be a no brainer unless otherwise noted
    but we don't live in a perfect world
    never have nor will >>

If you choose not to put Genuines in a slab they won't get Trueviewed

• Options

<< <i>I guess I just dont understand the issue, if you like the coin and want a pro photo of the coin what difference is the grade thing. The photo is of the coin not the grade, maybe this is an issue for flippers where your cost is the most important thing but as a collector I dont see the problem. >>

This is a valid question.

In my specific case, I'm putting together a "modern" registry set of proofs from 1950-1970. I'm to the point that my set is complete, but I'm in the upgrade stage. I have purchased the vast majority of my set raw (all but 6 or fewer of the coins) and greatly enjoy doing so. Accordingly, I may acquire a raw coin that I believe might be an upgrade and order a TrueView so it can be included in my registry set. If I'm wrong and the coin comes back lower than my expectation and is resultantly not an upgrade I will sell it and continue the hunt. On the other hand is the case in the OP where if it doesn't make my expected grade the coin doesn't warrant the TrueView image, but if it makes the grade I'll wish I had ordered it.

I do recognize my case may be a relatively unique one among members of the board.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file