Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Is It Better To Grade Older Coins B4 You Sell ?

I have this 1883 Ten D Gold coin (picture below) and I was wondering if its worth having graded before you sell, or can it actually deValue your coin if its not perfect.

Thanks,

Tracey

This Is My Gem Mint Collection

myemailaddress

Comments

• Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Not to be flip, but it depends on what grade the coin comes back as. You might show it to a dealer and get his/her opinion. Eye appeal means a lot whether slabbed or unslabbed, unless you have a high grade in demand for a registry set.image

Edited: By the way looks like a nice coin, are you going to sell it?
  • Options
    Thanks for replying.

Yes I am But I want to learn how they value coins ect.. I have been collecting cards for some time and I understand the grading much better.
    I thought I'd visit the grading companies websites and do a little investigating and see if I can find its worth with or without a grade.

Thanks so much for responding I appreciate it.

Tracey

This Is My Gem Mint Collection

myemailaddress
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice gem mint collection. As for your coin, you might want to get it slabbed if you are going to sell it on ebay or the like just to assure any potential bidders that it isn't a counterfeit. It's extremely tough to tell on a scan, however, it looks to me like the coin may have been cleaned at one point. If that is the case you may want to send it to ANACS for authentication and grading. Good luck.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    CanesPhinsFAN
    TomB is quite right.The biggest problem with the gold coins is counterfiets.It isn't the grade.That coin has a lot of bag marks.I doubt it would grade Mint State.I'd follow his suggestion.My cents worth.
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • Options
    dldallendldallen Posts: 359 ✭✭
    CanesPhins Fan,

Love those Dolphins and I have a Gem Mint Collection almost the same age as yours!

Like Tom & Don, I don't think that G$10 will go Mint State though with what appears as wear on those high points (or could be just the scan). And if it has been cleaned, PCGS won't touch it. It is a + or - $200 coin though and if you want to sell it or just preserve it in its current state, I would send it off to ANACS. You and any prospective buyer would then know if it's the real thing and its grade so you could agree on a price.

Good Luck and take care of that Mint Collection. Dave
  • Options
    Graded coins sell better and they get more money for the sale than raw coins. I would grade your 1883 $10 gold at AU58. There appears to be some wear on the ear and on the hair behind it. It is so difficult to grade gold coins that are scanned and then expanded up.
    I have never seen a Peace Dollar that I did not like!!