Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Morgan VAM Finds

In building a Morgan set, I purchased a PCGS MS63 1900-O Morgan and immediately noticed a significant die break on the back. I determined from a VAM website that it's a 1900-O VAM-31B. I showed it to my wife who told me I should return the defective coin to the person I bought it from. Anyway, I've never taken any interest in Morgan VAMs before and I find this coin to be cool with this little bit of personality. I started looking through my other Morgans and found that my PCGS MS63 1883-CC Morgan is a VAM-5D with a similar cool die beak.

VAMs are new to me. Most of the VAMs are very detailed things. I like these VAMs because they're so obvious.

1. Not really a question. I just want to share the pictures because I think they're cool.
2. Do these VAMs provide any premium value to these coins?

1900-O: PCGS MS-63 VAM-31B
imageimage

1883-CC: PCGS MS-63 VAM-5D
imageimage

I'll need to look through my other Morgans to see what else interesting I can find.
I love the 3 P's: PB&J, PBR and PCGS.

Comments

• Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would not expect either of these varieties to have a significant premium unless they were at the top of the present condition census, in which case the thin market among VAM Registry worshippers might push the competition to stretch their dollars. Your 1883-CC does have what appears to be a feature that I haven't noted on either of the VAM 5D examples plated at vamworld.com. It appears that your coin has a significant die chip on Liberty's forehead.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if you come across a vam page w/o large full coin images (lfcp), please contact someone on vam world so the images can be added.

the site is heavily dependent on member contributions and unfortunately some of the largest potential contributors are either too lazy or greedy to do so.

fwiw, i have around 2k image uploaded there. the site could use another 10-20 easily.

thanks, congratz and happy vamming!

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

<< <i>.
    if you come across a vam page w/o large full coin images (lfcp), please contact someone on vam world so the images can be added.

the site is heavily dependent on member contributions and unfortunately some of the largest potential contributors are either too lazy or greedy to do so.

fwiw, i have around 2k image uploaded there. the site could use another 10-20 easily.

thanks, congratz and happy vamming!
    . >>

Is this true? I haven't been to the site in a while. But, I know of a few people, "regulars", that have added hundreds, maybe thousands, of images to the site. They've also added a great deal of information, guides, videos, and more to vamworld. Didn't know it had gone downhill and changed. Is it because of greed and laziness? That sucks. Guess I should check it out and see what has happened lately.
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope this does not come across wrong, but I love your wife. :-)
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options

<< <i>.Didn't know it had gone downhill and changed. Is it because of greed and laziness? That sucks. Guess I should check it out and see what has happened lately. >>

ask me how many blank pages, bad links, missing plates etc. - all of which could be knocked out in a week or less.

for sure there is a lot of good being done but i can cite a list of people that proliferate from vams, have images that could go to the apropos pages and simply refuse to do so. all kinds of excuses abound but then again i am simply a "get it done type".

i did ask some of these people for permission to use their images and i got a 95+% success rate. of course, at the expense of someone else doing it for them.

not trying to be political or highjack this thread but instead, inspire those that can contribute TO contribute. an image is worth........

i try to live by many philosophies including this one and is one of my favorites:

"what you do speaks so loud, i cannot hear what you say"

keep up the good hunt TF2. image

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

<< <i>ask me how many blank pages, bad links, missing plates etc. - all of which could be knocked out in a week or less. >>

That's really unfortunate. As I mentioned, haven't been there in a while. I just checked. I see the 2500+ close-up images that I loaded years ago are still there, just not sure if they're linked any where now. Will have to check more later.

Keep up the hunt.

• Options
    TigersFan2TigersFan2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭
    I used VAM World to diagnose these two VAMS. I found the webpage working fine and found no bad links, lots of pictures, etc.
    I love the 3 P's: PB&J, PBR and PCGS.
  • Options

<< <i>Will have to check more later. >>

not sure if you know but if you manually check your images uploaded and use the orphaned option, it will show the list of your images not on a page.

this doesn't apply to the message board and you will need to verify one-by-one. image

some images do get upgraded, moved, etc for legitimate reason(s), so don't go ballistic if you find some not active. some people lose their mind if they see their crappy images inactive. the better the quality, effectiveness and accuracy, the more likely they are to remain active.

sometimes one character is accidentally deleted or a typing error prevents an image from showing as well as people using their own host in lieu of vamworld/wiki hosting. i do not advise this. years go by and people lose their hosting. thus only represents a small percentage and when i found them i uploaded them to vw hosting and updated the code.

---------------------------

TF2 - there are 5,400+/- vams. let me know when you've checked them all. you'll need up-to-date supplements and a few books/guides. image

• Options

<< <i>Will have to check more later. >>

I looked around a little on VW. Looks like some crap happened in February of this year. One member was changing images that people uploaded without permission, changing pages that people created without permission, deleting images, rearranging things. A lot of peoples' work was done for nothing. Was asked to stop, but refused. I read a thread where people stopped contributing because of this one person's attitude. Couldn't find anything related to greed or laziness. Sounded like one bad apple ruined a lot of amazing effort. That's one of the problems with an open Wiki. Oh well. There were probably other things going on as well. Hard to say after only a couple hours of browsing. Like I said, I've been out of the loop for over three years. Used to be a member when there was only a handful of people on the site. Hopefully things will improve and the site will remain extremely valuable to VAM collectors and researchers.
  • Options
    OMG. Sorry. Foot in mouth. Please disregard my posts.

TigersFan2, nice finds! Good luck with the hunt!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file