Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

baseball photographs - future in the hobby?

I've been getting interested in old Type 1 photographs, such as Mantle, etc. Heritage Auctions had an original sports photos auction earlier this month with incredible results. Is this a significant and growing part of the hobby? Trying to determine whether a photo is a Type 1. 2, 3, or 4 scares me, too. Anyone else getting into this area of the hobby?

Always looking for Mantle cards such as Stahl Meyer, 1954 Dan Dee, 1959 Bazooka, 1960 Post, 1952 Star Cal Decal, 1952 Tip Top Bread Labels, 1953-54 Briggs Meat, and other Topps, Bowman, and oddball Mantles.

Comments

• Options
    I only have a few vintage St. Louis Cardinals/Browns photos in my collection. If you are interested in purchasing some you should check out RMY Auctions. They have a new auction running from September 7th -September 20th. They always have a lot of great stuff.

• Options
    judgebuckjudgebuck Posts: 989 ✭✭✭
    I did purchase a few Type 1's at the National from RMY. You're right; they have great stuff. For me, it is really hard to determine if a photo is Type 1 or not, much less to place a fair value on it.

Also, there must not be many photo collectors here, as you were the only one to respond.

Always looking for Mantle cards such as Stahl Meyer, 1954 Dan Dee, 1959 Bazooka, 1960 Post, 1952 Star Cal Decal, 1952 Tip Top Bread Labels, 1953-54 Briggs Meat, and other Topps, Bowman, and oddball Mantles.

• Options
    I was just at an auction with a bunch of older (late 60's-70's) AP photos. They were the ones with the captions on the back. I tried to get them but they went pretty high. Does anybody know if these
    ap photos are considered type 1 or not?

Thanks,
    James
    " I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we in here talking about practice. I mean, listen, we're talking about practice "
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭
    The newest edition of "Beckett Vintage Collector" magazine (Jackie Robinson cover) has a nice article about collecting photographs & describes the definitions of Type 1, etc. I recommend you take a look at that (I picked up my copy at a Barnes & Noble).

Good Luck!

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭
    double post
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    I'll have to pick up a copy, sounds interesting. Thank you.
    " I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we in here talking about practice. I mean, listen, we're talking about practice "
  • Options
    TomiTomi Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I've been getting interested in old Type 1 photographs, such as Mantle, etc. Heritage Auctions had an original sports photos auction earlier this month with incredible results. Is this a significant and growing part of the hobby? Trying to determine whether a photo is a Type 1. 2, 3, or 4 scares me, too. Anyone else getting into this area of the hobby? >>

I have thought about getting into the Type 1 photos, but after the recent Heritage sales I think I might just stick to cards. I think the future for these photos are unlimited. Ruth and Mantle are selling for insane prices.

Since you are interested in Mantle, I saw an incredible Type 1 from his rookie or second year at the Mile High booth at the National. They also have a signed PSA/DNA Mantle high school yearbook and they are both going to be in the next Mile High auction this month.

Good luck with the Type 1 photo chase, I'm sure there are many bargains to be had, but I think some of the "this photo was used for this card" photos will be crazy expensive.
  • Options
    judgebuckjudgebuck Posts: 989 ✭✭✭
    There is a book, "A Portrait of Baseball Photography," that explores the world of baseball photos. It was written in 2005 by Marshall Fogel, Henry Yee, and Khyber Oser. I wish they would do an update.

No doubt about the following: 1) Heritage August auction sales were unbelievably high, 2) Ruth, Gehrig, and Mantle seem to lead the way, 3) a Type 1 photo that was used for a card is very desirable, 4) Type 1's are much more desirable than wire photos.

I appreciate all the replys. It is a fascinating area of the hobby, and I have a lot to learn.