Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Reformation in Regensburg

This was the medal that paid a visit to Oak Creek, Wisconsin. It does not fit any of my themes (yet!), but I liked the solitary figure in the boat. The reverse was cool, also!

imageimage

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD

Comments

• Options
    IosephusIosephus Posts: 872 ✭✭✭
    Interesting medal. If I'm reading the reverse chronograph properly, this is dated 1742, and is looks to have something to do with religion in Regensburg? Can you give any further background on the piece?
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dammit, I knew from the vendor that this medal was issued in 1742, but I did not realize how it was dated.
    Thank you, Iosephus, for spurring me to add up all the capital letters and sure enough, 1742. At least I knew there had to be a reason for the strange capitalization.
    Anyway, the City of Regensburg adopted Protestantism in 1542. This medal celebrates the 200th anniversary.
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    IosephusIosephus Posts: 872 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the further explanation, and I'm glad it made it home safely from its trip out west.
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    What an delightful medal! Gotta love chronographs and I really admire the amount of thought/planning/effort to get an inscription that provided both an appropriate message and the date desired. I do admit that this one took me a minute to realize the W was to be read as V V - something I hadn't seen before - to come up with the 1742 date. What fun and thanks for sharing!

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    PatARPatAR Posts: 347 ✭✭✭
    Very cool. I'm struggling to connect the person in the boat with a revered person associated with the city or general religious symbol.
  • Options
    coffeycecoffeyce Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    I really love the design on this one.
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Very cool. I'm struggling to connect the person in the boat with a revered person associated with the city or general religious symbol. >>

Given the turreted headress, I assumed that it is meant to be the personification of the city of Regensburg steering the boat with a rudder.
    Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Neat piece with a bonus chronograph for good measure!

I like the key symbolism found on Regensburg coinage and medals. The crossed keys represent St Peter, the patron saint of the city. I can't seem to find the origin of the keys, but articles suggest that they date to the Counts of Regensburg in the early 14th century. The official city seal consistently adopted the crossed keys in the mid 1500s.

• Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not quite coin related, but....picked this up my last time in Germany. Beer stein with Regensburg Cathedral on the top. Hand made and very heavy stoneware, the lid is pewter with a porcelain insert. I really enjoyed my time in Regensburg, great city with many many restored and original buildings.