Home U.S. Coin Forum

Ike C&C Quality Issues

I'm pleased with one set. Other set, not so much. Dollar coin has scar the length of Ike's forehead and medal has significant stains.
Am curious what quality issues others are finding.

Comments

• RampageRampage Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the message forums. Is the scar you talking about a scratch? Is it raised or in the coin? Maybe a strike thru?
  • Thanks for the welcome. Hope it's not poor form to make my first post a thread.
    The scar is in the coin. Almost looks like it was intended.
    I now believe it to be a strike-thru.
  • Can you post pics? Sounds interesting.
  • Am trying to take a pic that shows it. Hate to say I'm not having much success.
    Doesn't show to naked eye. 5X shows.
  • dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My one set looks pristine, fortunately. Would like to know more about yours, particularly the nature of the "scar."

I'm glad you started with an interesting thread.

• wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    About 1/20 dollars are a legit shot 70
    About 1/7 medals are a legit shot 70

The coins come spotted, especially the medals. Don't obcess over finding a spot free medal, as there is a good chance it will develop a spot or two later.

From my experience.

Wondercoin.
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Thanks. On my way to a show. Will take it with me. Might run into a forum member to help.
  • DatentypeDatentype Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭

<< <i>About 1/20 dollars are a legit shot 70

<< <i>

I need to send my Ike's into PCGS I guess.

That is clear over grading. I look at 10's of thousands of proof Ike's a year and might be lucky to make 1 70UC/year at NGC on paltry submission numbers (who want's a 69uc). Clearly a different quality level in 70 coins between the two companies and with Deep/ultra cameo NGC is also stingier. Note, I know if you send a zillion coins in to PCGS they feel the need too help you pay the bill but they are not real 70's. However, I do think as far as grading MS coins PCGS is just slightly tougher these days on several issues but still easier on some NGC is trying to gain the market respect PCGS has.

How about this for numbers. PCGS has graded 369 Ike's in 70uc and NGC 4. I can go into other dates/denominations in the mid seventies and NGC has graded zero. One argument is the total numbers submitted but that is really not the story as I know the coins/series' pretty well. IMHO 1977 & 1978 comes in potential 70UC about 1/500 coins and that is potential only. There are no 1977 in 70. The entire series has only 4 1978 and I have made 3. Is NGC too tough on these given there place in the market?
  • Thanks.
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mark. I am referring to the Ike Chronicles 2015 dollars here.

Wondercoin

Edited to add... But great "rant" nonetheless on 71-78 coins. LOL!! image
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • DatentypeDatentype Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    Oooops more coffee please but my number hold still I guess just not the 1 out of 15.
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm pleased with one set. Other set, not so much. Dollar coin has scar the length of Ike's forehead and medal has significant stains.
    Am curious what quality issues others are finding. >>

The same coincidentally. I have one nice set and one not-so nice set. Guess which is the keeper and which one is the flippa?
  • Showed the coin to a knowledgeable someone at a local coin show.
    I now believe it to be a strike-thru.
    Anyone here from SW Baltimore area?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file