Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

vin scully

Vin will be back next season for his 67th year calling games for the Dodgers. That is just amazing.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

Comments

• Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭
    Great news. Just an amazing career.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hiya Craig

Next to the late great Mel Allen, for me he's the voice of baseball.
    Mike
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    He added more info yesterday, sounds like next year will definitely be his last. He's going to leave a huge void.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Announce as long as he is able IMO. He's the best image
  • Options
    DodgerfanjohnDodgerfanjohn Posts: 489 ✭✭✭
    Vin is amazing and the Dodgers won't be the same without him once he retires.

But damn is he screwing up names the past couple years. Same thing Chick Hearn did once he got along in years.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Vin is amazing and the Dodgers won't be the same without him once he retires. But damn is he screwing up names the past couple years. Same thing Chick Hearn did once he got along in years. >>

I say he has earned the right to call ANYONE anything he wants! image
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭
    Vin is the man!! Just think what he has witnessed not only in baseball but the world since he started broadcasting in 1950.
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    I remember going to bed and listening to Vin do Dodger games on a little transistor radio that I hid under my pillow back in the early 60's. Amazing that he's still at it.

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I remember going to bed and listening to Vin do Dodger games on a little transistor radio that I hid under my pillow back in the early 60's. Amazing that he's still at it. >>

I did the same thing, Vin and Chick.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭
    I had the pleasure of watching the entire cubs-dodgers game on MLB network on saturday night and am amazed at how he is still sharp as a tack at 87 AND that he works by himself!! Since I live in boston I only have the luxury of hearing Vin when the MLB network broadcasts dodgers games. Since he doesn't have a broadcast partner, after watching and listening for the first couple innings i started thinking "its almost like he's conversing with himself!" but as soon as that notion crossed my mind I quickly thought "no, he's talking to the viewing audience!" Amazing that he will be 88 in november; my dad turned 88 two weeks ago and while he also is still sharp as a tack and watches every red sox game, I don't think he could sit in a booth and broadcast the games with a partner let alone by himself!!
  • Options
    mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭
    Double post
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    a national treasure
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    IndianaJonesIndianaJones Posts: 346 ✭✭✭
    Growing up in the Chicago area, we had our share of superb announcers.

But LA has had the best with Vin Scully.

There used to be a saying, "HAPPINESS IS ...".

Well, within the environs of the Los Angeles Dodger network, "Happiness is listening to a Vin Scully" broadcast of a Dodger game."

---Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)
  • Options
    dberk12dberk12 Posts: 399 ✭✭

<< <i>a national treasure >>

+1. He is the best announcer I have ever heard call a game in any sport. To say that he will leave a void is a massive understatement.

Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona.

-George F. Will