Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Bergen Iron Works and its tokens: An early industry of Lakewood, N.J. by William S Dewey.

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
A few years ago I meet the author at a show who mentioned that the Ocean County New Jersey Historical Society had reprinted his 1989 46 page book but the only way to get a copy was to buy it in person.

Well they have now added a paypal shopping cart checkout service and are shipping the book for $18.00.

Here's the link for anyone interested OCHS Publications

It's the 5th book down on the list which is a bargain as the out of print copies have been offered as high as $150.00

1840 Bergen Iron Works, Lakewood, New Jersey, HT-205 / Low-142, Brass, Rarity-2.

1840 Bergen Iron Works, Lakewood, New Jersey, HT-206 / Low-143, Copper, 21mm Diameter, Rarity-4.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good to know Broadstruck. Those are nice tokens with nice themes.

I've been a big fan of books that have been digitized by the Google Books project which has been linked to from here. Hopefully we can get more books there over time.
  • Options
    Zoins, Although there are quite a few good books on google unfortunately not enough so dead trees still rule.

Really looking forward to getting this as it's been on my want list for quite some time.
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I picked one up, now I have to get a token. Gee, thanks.

edit to add: image
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options

<< <i>I picked one up, now I have to get a token. Gee, thanks.

edit to add: image >>

shorecoll, Sorry but I'll keep an eye out for ya if I see a nice example in my web travels.

The brass is more often seen but is usually found with corrosion issues...

So don't hold your breath as it might be a year or more until a nice presentable example surfaces.

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Going to pick one up as well. I live in close proximity to the original site, as well as to the Howell Works, another popular subject in Hard Times Tokens from Allaire, NJ.
    Thanks for the link

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dewey himself is historic. I could tell you the story but research him Great history
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    I received my copy today and it's a wealth of information on the Iron Works, the store the tokens where used by it's employees, and the tokens themselves.

The bio on the back cover threw me for a loop as I must have meet Mr. Dewey a lot earlier as lately the years just run together.

It was at Spencer Peck's table but figured Mr. Dewey's age wise being in his early 80's not around a 100.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I received my copy today and it's a wealth of information on the Iron Works, the store the tokens where used by it's employees, and the tokens themselves.

The bio on the back cover threw me for a loop as I must have meet Mr. Dewey a lot earlier as lately the years just run together.

It was at Spencer Peck's table but figured Mr. Dewey's age wise being in his early 80's not around a 100. >>

Glad to hear it. It's always cool to hear how tokens were used and it's been fun researching the establishments for tokens that I'm interested in as well.

From Google, it looks like Bonae Fidei Signum means something like sign of good faith.

Does the book include information on who designed and struck the tokens?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file