Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

"1799/8" Large Cent

cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
I picked this up cheaply because I'd never seen an alteration like it. It looks like someone actually punched a 9 over the 8 on a genuine 1798 cent. The area around the 9 is indented, and you can see what appears to be the edges of the punch around it. Is this a known alteration? It appears to be quite old.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.

Comments

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very interesting!
    Almost looks like the top of a '7' over the new '9'? Or is this a remnant from the punch?

As for being old, there was a reprinted article from the August 1897 issue of The Numismatist warning of the prevalence of
    altered cents to look like 1799 - so that game has been going on for a LONG time!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Very interesting!
    Almost looks like the top of a '7' over the new '9'? Or is this a remnant from the punch?

As for being old, there was a reprinted article from the August 1897 issue of The Numismatist warning of the prevalence of
    altered cents to look like 1799 - so that game has been going on for a LONG time! >>

Thanks for the info! I'm not sure what's going on above the 9, but I see what you see. I'm curious if there's enough meat for someone to recognize it as a Sheldon variety and pin the year down...
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Way too worn for me to tell what variety it is.....there are several 1797 varieties with the last numeral high,
    which may be what left that little remnant. Further supporting this is that it appears to be a Hairstyle I variety,
    though with the level of wear it's really hard to be sure, but the tell tale lower curl of the Type II's are visible
    even on pretty worn examples. But I think all 1797's are Type I's (as are some of the 1798's).

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭✭
    Personally that raised part appears to be part of the punch. It can't be a part of a 7 based on what the normal 7 in the date looks like. The highest part of the regular 7 is on the left.
    Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!
  • Options
    winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    I'd give it a AG9 !image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file