Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Any good dealer websites for buying 60's and 70's graded cards?

I am starting to get into graded cards and I want to buy some but I am not a fan of all of these dealers now being auction houses and charging a fee when you buy. I know everything is on ebay but what if I just want to buy some stars/rookies from the 1960's and 70's PSA 8, 9 at a fair price. I'm not looking for crazy PSA 10 or low pop commons. Are there any go to websites with good selection and decent prices?
Love those 70's - early 80's packs and boxes...send me a message if you are selling because I am buying

Comments

• SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I am starting to get into graded cards and I want to buy some but I am not a fan of all of these dealers now being auction houses and charging a fee when you buy. I know everything is on ebay but what if I just want to buy some stars/rookies from the 1960's and 70's PSA 8, 9 at a fair price. I'm not looking for crazy PSA 10 or low pop commons. Are there any go to websites with good selection and decent prices? >>

My focus is PSA 9's in early 70's. Sorry to say, but E-bay is your primary source for these cards. Either via auctions, PWCC/Probstein, or individuals spinning cards. PSA 8's are in far more quantity than 9's, so if you want to get started quickly, search on e-bay for PSA 8's. I stay away from BIN's because 80% of them are overpriced, and I don't have time to sort through and find the 20% that may be of value. Try to find some PSA 9 '75 mini's right now. Aint happening.

Get a subscription to VCP. Without it, you're toast on cost history. If you find a website that has decent prices on 9's, let me know.

Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • 49ersGuy49ersGuy Posts: 382 ✭✭
    Just like Sdub said...E-bay.

If you are going after PSA 9 you are going to find yourself in many bidding wars where you will see the price escalate on auctions. Buy it now prices are almost always jacked up as well as they generally factor in what other similar cards have went for recently.

Trying to get prices according to the book is near impossible for PSA9/PSA10. PSA 8 is the most reasonable. In my opinion I stay away from 9 and 10 as a collector for one main reason. If you have a PSA 9 1972 Roger Staubach(example) you will pay a decent chunk of change for it. If say 5 to 10 pop on the PSA report the value will go down. PSA 8 prices are more stable as they generally reflect the Beckett book value and go up and down as those prices change.
  • initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭
    Anybody with the selection of cards that you are looking for will most likely be on Ebay

Obviously the most eyes are there. I have found that most also have their own websites, although they don't advertise it on Ebay

Reach out to them and you can both save avoiding Ebay fees and even try to strike an outside bargain

RedZone comes to mind when I bought a '52 Mays. Even 4SC etc. Good luck
  • jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭
    A few come to mind 707 and a board member Quality Cards
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    I think 4 sharp corners has a great selection and decent prices for lower grade (lower than 10) stars, semi stars etc..
  • jsanzjsanz Posts: 250 ✭✭
    Thanks for the input everyone. I guess I was hoping there was a one stop shop for graded cards, like BBCE is the place for unopened product. I'm just not a fan of auctions that have a buyers premium so I guess ebay is still the way to go. I will keep looking. I did notice some people are buying and selling on this site in the BST section. Has anyone had any luck with that?
    Love those 70's - early 80's packs and boxes...send me a message if you are selling because I am buying
  • Yes, I have had quite a bit of success buying on BST. Sellers' prices are a little lower because they don't need to cover eBay fees. Some sellers I have made several good transactions with are wilkiebaby11 and cpettimd, but there are plenty of other great sellers too. eBay is still the best bet. Also, although I haven't bought from him yet, I hear lots of good things about Jeff Foy, who is CardCountry on here. Sounds like he has a lot of graded cards for sale at any given time. Not sure if he has a website. Although he doesn't have an enormous selection, Tom Salems has a decent inventory and the best customer service in the business. His website is opcbaseball.com . I hope some of this helps.
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Try Larry's Vintage Cards, has a ton of traded cards. Pricing might be a little high, but he ight work with you on a bigger purchase.
  • jsanzjsanz Posts: 250 ✭✭
    Just signed up for VCP. That helps a lot. I see a lot of users here talk about it so I assume it is reliable

<< <i>Just signed up for VCP. That helps a lot. I see a lot of users here talk about it so I assume it is reliable >>

It's the best we have at this point. Not always accurate, but gives you a very good idea of where prices are.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.

Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes, I have had quite a bit of success buying on BST. Sellers' prices are a little lower because they don't need to cover eBay fees. Some sellers I have made several good transactions with are wilkiebaby11 and cpettimd, but there are plenty of other great sellers too. eBay is still the best bet. Also, although I haven't bought from him yet, I hear lots of good things about Jeff Foy, who is CardCountry on here. Sounds like he has a lot of graded cards for sale at any given time. Not sure if he has a website. Although he doesn't have an enormous selection, Tom Salems has a decent inventory and the best customer service in the business. His website is opcbaseball.com . I hope some of this helps. >>

www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Yes, I have had quite a bit of success buying on BST. Sellers' prices are a little lower because they don't need to cover eBay fees. Some sellers I have made several good transactions with are wilkiebaby11 and cpettimd, but there are plenty of other great sellers too. eBay is still the best bet. Also, although I haven't bought from him yet, I hear lots of good things about Jeff Foy, who is CardCountry on here. Sounds like he has a lot of graded cards for sale at any given time. Not sure if he has a website. Although he doesn't have an enormous selection, Tom Salems has a decent inventory and the best customer service in the business. His website is opcbaseball.com . I hope some of this helps. >>

image >>

Tom and opcbaseball.com are off the charts for customer service and products.