Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Worth the Risk to Somebody???

Take a look at this auction that ends in 3 hours. A PCGS MS65+ 1910-D $20 Gold coin. $4,000 in the PCGS Price Guide but sitting with a $1,545 + $15 S/H bid. The catch??? It's located in Russia. If it's real, someone will likely get a great coin at a fraction of its value. But what if it's not real?

1910-D $20 Gold

Looks like he has a whole bunch of them with different dates.
I love the 3 P's: PB&J, PBR and PCGS.

Comments

• Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    Undoubtedly real coins, but it looks like the photos have been stolen from a variety of places. Low feedback seller from a foreign country, sounds like a scam to me.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    TigersFan2TigersFan2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭
    Earlier this evening my wife said she wants an adapter for her iPad that will connect with the HDMI on the television. So I went to Ebay. Then I filtered out the auctions to "US Only." So then there were still hundreds of similar auctions that said in the auctions that the item was located in California, Texas, etc. But when I'd click on the userid, it would say the person registered on such a date and is located in China, Hong Kong or Malaysia.

Personally, I prefer to only bid on auctions from sellers in the U.S., mainly because if something isn't right, it's easier to fix the issue. But I guess it's possible for the sellers in other countries to still make it look like they're in the U.S.

At least this guy doesn't attempt to hide where he's located.
  • Options
    This coin he's selling is currently part of someone's registry set. I wonder if they know someone in Russia is trying to sell their coin.

1907 Gold $20

Registry Set

I just sent a message through PCGS to the owner of that Registry Set to ask them if they were selling their coin on Ebay from Russia. I gave them the auction link.
  • Options
    All his $20 Gold auctions have been removed. Ebay must have become wise.
  • Options
    winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    I wouldn't !! Risk is too big that you won't even get any coin.
  • Options
    I got a response back from the owner of the Registry Set with the 1907 that the Russian auction was trying to sell. He says it's clearly a scam because he has the 1907 coin.
  • Options
    ShortgapbobShortgapbob Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭
    Lots of eBay scams out there right now with hijacked accounts and stolen images.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -- Aristotle

For a large selection of U.S. Coins & Currency, visit The Reeded Edge's online webstore at the link below.

The Reeded Edge
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I got a response back from the owner of the Registry Set with the 1907 that the Russian auction was trying to sell. He says it's clearly a scam because he has the 1907 coin. >>

No surprise there...

<< <i>Lots of eBay scams out there right now with hijacked accounts and stolen images. >>

Very true.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,532 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I wouldn't !! Risk is too big that you won't even get any coin. >>

image ( take your chances if you want ) just saying

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights